IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what kind of lame excuses everyones going to use for NOT showing up at the Capital. Think there were about 18 boats! What happened to the other 280?
Sorry poeple, but I was just a little disappointed.
Whats more important, fishing today or protecting
our future?

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I counted 14 boats. It wasn't the spectacle I was anticipating.

Maybe it has something to do with making a great effort for the previous committee and being more or less ignored.

Still, it's a good thing that gets people into the Capitol to see what the process is like.

Be careful who you vote for.

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts

Bill Kremers just sent me these.

I too, was a little disappointed in the turnout.

I guess when there are long hard battles to be won, people get a little burned out.

I think that is what "they" were hoping for, too.

If you string it out long enough, people will just accept it... It's :depressed: .

Still, I had a good feeling about the turnout, and as usual, when Jim Martin spoke, people clapped with enthusiasm.. Ooops! Not supposed to do that.

I held up a sign in the back when someone who lives on the Nestucca opposed us. I got in trouble for that too. I guess I'm a rebel, now?
:smile: I was asked to do that! I had no idea it was against the rules! Still, I felt justified in doing it, so I'm fine with it.

Jen

[ 04-25-2003, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
"Rep. Jeff Kropf, R-Sublimity, said he supported the original fee increase bill because it had strong backing from sportsmen and sportswomen. If the governor's proposal goes forward, Kropf could withdraw his support."

He didn't support it enough to RECOMMEND PASSING IT !!!
:mad:

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I got your excuse right here!!!

After reading in the Oregonian yesterday 4/24 that they want to increase the standard license by $10.00 instead of $5.00 and the salmon/steelhead/?halibut? (I don't even fish for hlibut) tag by almost twice, well, that was enough for me!! THEN, to want to take some of that money for the general FUND??? THEN, they want to double my vehicle license fees!!! Then, you can bet they'll get a sales tax through now, without some kind of guarantee of lowering property taxes.

NO NO NO! no more support from this two fisher house. We may not buy salmon tags next year if these increases go through, there's other fish in that water. I'm sure that would be just fine by most of the deep pocketed ifishers as that will mean one less boat to contend with out there.

Smj

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was a really nice article in the Statesman Journal( with picture). I'm glad to see all the news coverage that we got and pray that this will be noticed. :smile:

·
Registered
873 Posts
I will probably get in trouble for saying this but I have always felt our state has enough money to run it's programs efficently. They just have to do a better job of managing their revenues.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Dont we have the highest budget for public schools yet rank lowest (or close to it) on scores...makes you wonder what else they can throw more money at to fix the problem.
We need to send one of those corporate headhunters though oregons goverment and start hacking away at all the waste.

What happened to the saying "do more with less"?

Thanks vera, as always you know best.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Smj, not a great excuse. You could have been there to tell them your opinion. Fortunately several people did it for you.

And now a special
for Jerry Dove. Above and beyond ... thanks!

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Jooky,

Glad you have the disclaimer at the bottom of your posts........... yes, you are exaggerating the money being spent on schools and the test score levels. Think "appples and oranges" comparisons and state mandated education programs in Oregon compared to other states.

Please look for information from sources other than talk radio and the internet.

[ 04-25-2003, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Sore Back,

I will probably get in trouble for saying this but I have always felt our state has enough money to run it's programs efficently. They just have to do a better job of managing their revenues.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">You're viewpoint translates into cuting all funding for ODFW. Consider that to most folks, entire ODFW budget is an example of "ineffeciency" in government.

Ever notice how our pet projects are lean and mean and everybody's else's pet projects are "fat".

Brion

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Originally posted by Sore Back:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Lots of people say this but when you ask for specific suggestions you get "The Sounds of Silence."

The government has to do a lot of BS to comply with the LAWS. Can't get around the LAW.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
That is right they have to comply with the law. It costs money to do this. Attorneys run this state. They make the laws. The govs sppointed man on fish issues is a member of Oregon Trout. Oregon Trout is anti hatchery. Kitz had a similar opinion of hatcheries as does our new gov.

So we better get some folks who practice law involved. And most importantly get together with EVERYONE who is on our side here. This means Commercials, Native Americans, tackle manufacturers, boat makers, everyone. Get represented and right now. A strong front on our part will keep them open. Divided we will fail.

Mark and the dog.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts