IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for all the "guru's" out there. I recently bought my first drift boat. I plan to use it not only on the rivers, but in T-Bay, and lakes. I want to get the depth/fish finder for it. Would one of the Fishing Buddies be best, or has anyone used a regular type mounted FishFinder and a suction cup transducer mounted to the side of the boat, since mounting on the transom won't do the trick? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I got a smokin deal at GI Joes last year. I picked up a basic Eagle FF for $45. It came with a carry case that doubles as a holder, battery pack (8 D cell), and a suction cup transducer. It works great in the DB and I have used it on my 14' jon boat. I love the versatility.

Yeah, it is pretty basic, but it works for me. I think I got it so cheap because they were discontinued and a display model. I think they carry a hummingbird model now.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FrogPond, thanks. The suction cup idea is the one I lean towards and was hoping to hear success stories like yours. Hopefully I'll hear some more

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Skrimmy, i have had bad luck with the suction cups on the side of the boat when running with outboard. if you are rowing the suction cup should stay on. the nice thing about the portables vs the buddyfinder is that you can have the depth finder next to you vs behind you. I do have a buddyfinder i bought that i was going to sell. 75$ plus a 5$ donation to ifish(new 159.99). see you Sat.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks James. Looking forward to Saturday. Yeah, I wondered about the suction cup and outboard, but there's only so fast you can push a DB with a small kicker, not sure that would cause me grief? What model is your fishingbuddy?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Yeah, the suction cup doesn't want to stay on at much more than a slow troll when on my jon boat. I was thinking about rigging up a bracket that will hang from the top of the transom which will solve that problem though. On the DB it stays put, but I always use the safety strap! :grin:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I have an Eagle portable unit that uses 2 6v lantern bateries in an enclosed case and the screen sits on top of it. It has a handle and a strap for carrying it, and the transducer and cable store inside. The transducer is the suction cup mount and I have never had any trouble with it. I have had this at least 6 years and never had the transducer fall off. I have pushed my drift boat with a 15hp motor in lakes, bays and rivers and never had it move. I can find the model number if you want, but I am very happy with the unit and the suction cup mount. In fact, my biggest problem has been prying it off at the end of the day.

RF

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Got the Fish EZ2 similar to RoguFshr when I got the boat from Kyle. It works great, the trick to keeping the suction cup on is getting the cup to stick. You have to lick the boat not the cup. :wink:

Never had a problem with it coming loose, you really don't burn up the water ways in a DB. I would like to see a Portable in action though, would be nicer when drifting,but the EZ II stores better.

gus

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I always put the suction cup on once the boat is in the water. I lean over the side and put it on under water. just press it on real hard and its NOT coming off until youpry it off. :shrug:

RF

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The Eagle "fish Easy 2" portable is what you're looking for. About $170 but loaded with features you'll love (including a 60 degree cone sweep). The suction cup holds fine and comes with a tether just in case. Check out the website for more info.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The best depth finder I have been able to find is a large weight on the end of a rope. The one I currently use is 35#. I have it attached to the back of the boat. I slowly lower it to the bottom counting the number of feet until it makes contact. Very accurate! :wink:

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
I have a Fishing Buddy that I used on my 14' aluminum boat with a 5 hp motor. They're only good at very low speed due to the fact that they start this wobble thing. The side shooter feature was nice, the display and portability was great, features were good (temp, sensitivity, etc.) but to spend over 50 bucks on one...NO.(I got mine used. I was standing at GI Joes with a new one in my arms [159.99] when a guy told me he had one he would sell me for $50.00 that he used twice). I'd try the suction cup set-up. Now I have the Lowrance X65 in a new 17' Alumaweld boat.

·
Registered
147 Posts
hi skrimmy I too tryed the buddy It be junk!!! I went with a regular finder mounted on my left side cut a small chunk of ply in shape of stern removed the 2 bolts that hold anchor holder to back of boat drill plywood to fit and then mount transducer(sp) to plywood works slick and only takes about 2-3 min to take off I even got the speedo with it you can go with the cups, but I, like you use my boat on differant waters and this works for me
wet

ps make the plywood about 1"-1 1/2" longer than the stern plate not much drag and keeps the transducer in the water.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After reading all the great input here, and looking at the different models, I'm inclined to go with Brushpuppy's suggestion on the Eagle FishEasy2. It's pretty much the same unit as the Lowrance X51 which is $50 more. GI Joes doesn't carry the portable version so I'll have to check around. Thanks for all the input folks!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I purchased a Hummingbird ($99) low end model since it went deeper than the other fish finders. Next I purchased an aluminum extension arm (G I Joe's about $39)that clamps onto my boat which the transducer mounts on and I also purchased a motorcycle battery.
I mounted the fish finder on a piece of mahogany that fits perfectly in the tray next to my rowers seat.
The aluminum extension arm pivots up & out so when I am in shallow water or moving quickly with my motor the transducer is out of the water.
Best Fishes

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Best Fishes, thanks! That's along the same lines of what I'm thinking about doing. I'm leaning towards the Eagle Fisheasy2 model, and hooking it up to the battery I'll get when I buy an electric trolling motor. All I've gotta do now is work out the detail on how I mount the transducer. I lean towards the suction cup idea at the moment.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Why don't you just get a mask and snorkel and stick your big head overboard? :laugh:

[ 04-25-2003, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Otolith ]

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have an Eagle Magna portable I bought for my db. Now that I have a sled with finder I don't use it. Make me an offer.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by Otolith:
Why don't you just get a mask and snorkel and stick your big head overboard? :laugh:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Thanks for that, Bill! From what I'm hearing, that might be an equilalent option to the fishingbuddie! :grin: :grin: Which one did you say you have? :grin:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts