IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you buy a Columbia River rocker anchor it comes with 80-100 pound test cord(line) to secure the chain. This usually lasts until you pull the anchor the first time.
What do you use to replace it? I use nylon zip ties, but it seems like there ought to be something better, is there? :whazzup:

JB

· Administrator
40,978 Posts
I use two wraps of nylon mason's twine ... it doesn't break from regular use for me, but will snap under pressure.

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pete;
I'm not familiar with Mason's twine. Is it what they use to keep a straight line, and can you tell me where I can get some?

JB

· Administrator
40,978 Posts
I got mason's twine at the hardware store ... I've also seen it at the large local department store. The nylong twine is usually bright yellow or pink, for visibility, and is pretty strong. I think it was about $3 for 250 yards - a lifetime supply.

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pete,
I'll see if I can find some. Pink doesn't go in my boat ( I think it is reserved for Mel's tutu for Tuna virgins) but the yellow would work well.

JB :cheers:

· Registered
17,451 Posts
I keep a bag of zip ties in my boat. They work great.

JF
:yeahthat:

I use a pair of 50lb test plastic ties and keep a bag in the glove box

· Registered
2,073 Posts
Here is what works for me, and I guide for a living and use this set up in the gorge with the power water that will break zip ties way too often.

I take 120# or larger dacron and tie the chain to my anchor at the release point, I double tripple and keep doubling this up so that I have a few wraps, this seems to hold about the best of all that I have tried, yet is easy enough to break when you get hung up.

· Registered
2,725 Posts
I quit using zip ties after they were coming off while anchored and started down river springer fishing.I bought some 1/8 in cord at a hard were store and have not had a problem since.And it breaks away nice if you hang up a anchor.

· Registered
270 Posts
I use 50# dacron line that I use for sturgeon fishing. It usually holds well when sitting on the anchor and breaks away when I pull it. Works great for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.