IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like your views and opinions regarding the possible enactment of a new law I would like to propose that would require the wearing of PFD's (lifejackets) when crossing any bar (ie. from river to ocean) or navigating costal waters.

In 2001, 498 boaters drowned. Lifejackets could have saved the lives of approximately 420 boaters who drowned. In 2001 aproximately 8 out of every 10 victims in fatal boating accidents were not wearing lifejackets.

Once you have lost a loved one to drowing, it really makes the numbers seem astronomical.

I just lost my Father to drowning and I am so angry that he wasn't wearing a lifejacket. If it had been a law, he would most likely still be here today

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=028049

·
Registered
23,401 Posts
I am sorry for your loss and I like your idea. It should be a law.

papahog

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm also sorry for your loss Lady West.
I don't agree with a law requiring PFDs. It makes sense to require minors like it is now because they are likely under the control of someone else. But, I don't think a person should be required to protect themselves. Regarding adults I also disagree with seat belt laws, and helmet laws. If someone else would be put at risk, fine, but otherwise its none of anybody's business from where I sit. Curiously, I always wear a seat belt, helmet, and a PFD when indicated. Its just the idea of someone forcing their own safety views on everyone else that bugs me. Before you know it somebody will try and outlaw skydiving or rock climbing.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I can support the bar crossing part. We always wear ours when crossing, regardless how it looks.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It's difficult and dangerous to try and legislate common sense and intelligence. :cheers: zip

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I have always worn my seat belt, and I wear a PFD anytime I feel there is the slightest risk.

I'm not fond of making laws that tell me what to wear, what I can't grow in my garden, what medical procedures I can't have.

I'm OK with laws to protect public safety (keeps ME from hurting YOU) but I can do without laws to protect personal safety (keeps ME from hurting ME).

I suspect I am once again in the minority.

You should try to get your law passed, just for the experience of participating in the process. Do it for your dad.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I think people should wear PFDs. I do not think that you can (as stated before) legistate common sense and enforcing this would seem to be not practical.

Sorry about your loss.

EK

·
Registered
111 Posts
I too am VERY sorry for you tragic loss. I think personal safety is an issue that should not be on any law books. Common sense and good judgement should be a personal choice. The reason I am against laws of this nature is that I am in the minority of people that would not be sitting here replying to this message had the seat belt law been in place 20 years ago. I was up hunting in the coast range and had a major roll over in a Jeep CJ that would have taken my life had I been belted in!!! I still to this day make a personal choice to not wear a seat belt. But, if I am out in the ocean I know I can't swim very strong and I always have a Pfd on or handy.

[ 09-10-2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: LuckyDuck1 ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts