IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when drift fishing w/rocky bottom what brand of hooks do you use?

[ 06-11-2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cutting point or needle point i use cutting point but they seem impossible to re-sharpen so i usally just put a new one on

·
Premium Member
14,449 Posts
i notice that you only put down two hook manufacturers. what's up with that?? you know, other folks make hooks too. hooks that catch fish even.

i buy eagle claws, i carry a file and i know how to use it. but that's just for drift, big bobber, plunking and herring rigs. for plug hook replacement i go vmc. for jigs i go with owner.

you didn't even include ifish sponsors daiichi and mustad!!

[ 06-11-2003, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: ampersat ]

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry, but those are the ones i use and like. im sure some hooks are better than i posted for puting an edge on them, but owner and Gamakatsu are fishable right out of the package, also my Dad likes eagle claws for bobber fishing

[ 06-11-2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
For Sidedrifting I use #2 and #4 Vision with great results, the green and black nickel are very sharp.

For everything else I use Gamakatsu.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I recently bought a bunch of pre-tied 2-hook steelhead drift/boondogging rigs. The hooks are #4 Vision. In one morning of boondogging this week I straightened 4 hooks without once breaking the line --- 8 lb. Ultragreen Maxima.

In the last 3 years of drifting and boondogging Owner hooks, hundreds of rigs, I have never straightened a single hook.

Why on earth would I not use Owners?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I am a part-time blacksmith and I make my own hooks. They are called CARP CLAWZ!!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I use single #2's and #1's Vision. Remember, Visions are a size smaller than a Gammie, so buy accordingly. I like the black.

Thumper, that UG is some tuff stuff, and what I use also. I've hung up hundreds of times and never straightened one yet.

Well, OK, so I need to work on my casting. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
The wind this year, we were bending Vision and gama hooks. Don't think it matters what type of hook you have, there all gonna have problems. Gamakatsu for me!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I do like the vision but found out you need to buy them from the store as when you order them on line or from the man himself you never get them. :shrug:

·
Registered
993 Posts
being a vision dealer my vote is one sided owner and gamis. are good hooks but touch a rock and your done the new visions are sharp as any hook out there and and they dont have a cutting point so they wont tear through the skin send a email to me if you cant find any

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I have been trying out Mustad Ultra Point hooks for steelies. They seem to keep from having the point 'roll over' when the hook hangs up on a rock. Its difficult to say which is more sharp out of the box, but the fish don't seem to care. For bigger hooks (1/0-6/0) I exclusively use Gami's. :wink:

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
all my lures have owners hooks on them......when bobber and egg fishing i use owners....

but when drift fishing for steelies i use laser sharp eagle claws.......they have a nice point on them and are much cheaper for banging a few rocks.....i dont feel so bad dropping 10-15 hooks on snags if i can get a good hookset and save money

[ 06-12-2003, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: husker ]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
For octopus hooks I've started using the VMC bronze hooks. They take an edge redily and are quite cheap. My plugs all sport Owner cutting point trebles though. If a fish looks at one funny, they're hooked.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts