IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what brand of hooks do you use when drift fishing w/a rocky bottom?

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
at the rate i hang up and break off, those high end hooks just wouldn't be cost effective. i'm getting the hang of proper weight selection for a drift so i'm hanging up less often now. maybe once i get a little better at it, i'll be able to afford to throw the pricey stuff.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Gamis are what I have been using for years. I have do have some Owners and Diachi in my vest but for the most part the Gamis are the ones I use.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
It depends. Lots of Owners and Gammies. But there are times when Eagle Claw or VMC make a better tool for the job.

So, many of the above I guess.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i thank all of you who voted :smile: it looks like Gamakatsu won, also the people who voted for Owner cutting point do you sharpen them if you ding a rock if so how? wont it dull the cutting edges :shrug: thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If it is an area I am going to loose a lot of gear I use VMC's if it is a spot where I loose some now and then I go back to Owners. If I dull an owner I throw it out. Will never be as sharp as it was out of the package. VMC you can sharpen easily.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Quick Fisher: You actually use hooks???? YOu miss so many fish that I thought you just use scented leaders. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you have to be good to catch them with out a hook,it takes skills you dont have to get a half hitch around thier nose :grin:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Over the years, quality counts and equals more fish and in the long run less cost for hooks. Gami's are great at keeping their sharp point, and very relucktent to rust, or break. The same hooks may be used more than one season. Fish with what you want but by far the poll indicates the best hooks. What more do you want to know?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use Owners for:plugs,drift fishing from the bank,float fishing bait and mooching.After going thru 400 hooks boon-dogging ,this year I bought a 1000 Vision #3s,the jury is still out on the Vision's.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I too am an Owner Hook guy!

I use the 2x #2 on my anchovie spinner baits and steelie plugs.
And #1 and 1/0 on all my bay spinners.

As for plug cut biat I use 6/0 in black chrome with blue label bait.

As for backbouncing I use dual 4/0 for chinook

and for drift fishing I use #2-1/0

In my opinion they are the best hooks on the market.

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Owner cutting points are great hooks if they stay off the rocks.

I find the cutting point very easy to damage, and very difficult to re-sharpen.

I swore off Gami's about 10 years ago because the 2/0 were weak and opened up. But they are better now and that is what I use.

I like Owners for bobbers, trebles, etc. but you said rocky, so Gami all the way.

GRB

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Hooks should not be as expensive as gold. Owners are nice hooks, but waaaaaaaay to expensive.

Ok, I get my hooks for free, so I guess if a hook costs anything to me, that's expensive! :wink:

Helps that I do the web work for Vision. Nice getting free hooks and swivels! :wink:

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
I can't believe no one has mentioned my favorite hook......That would be the one buried in the jaw of a BIG Chinook, Coho, Steelhead, Smallmouth (yes, bass) Sturg........ you get thet idea!! :grin:

couldn't resist

On a "serious" note, once again I agree with ****** ANY good hook that's SHARP!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Owner, Gammi, and any other high-end hooks are great, but virtually any decent hook will work adequately if you sharpen it. I use cheaper hooks when I'm fishing in conditions where there are lots of hang ups, and I don't feel bad about losing my rig.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts