IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I couldn't be happier about the way my springer season started. Fished Saturday on the Willamette and went home with two fish. My friend Matt came down from Seattle to fish with me for the day. I have to say that after unsuccessfully trying to catch a springer for the last 4+ years, this was a completely satisfying day! (I'm not counting the one that ate my dick nite spoon while shad fishing 2 years ago). Anyway, we had 3 take-downs before noon, but the hooks just wouldn't stick. After lunch two more take-downs yielded a 24# buck, and a 20# hen. Both fin-clipped keepers. Finally, everything came together after so many hours spent learning how to catch these incredible fish. Matt battled the 24 pounder, and I took the 20 pounder. I've never had my butt kicked so bad by a fish!!! What an awesome battle. Can't wait to get out there again soon!! Here's the pictures:

Matt's fish

Happy fishermen

[ 04-14-2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Great job guys!

Nice looking nooks :cheers:

Are you going to give any clues as to what you were using? The I in Ifish stands for Information :grin:

Thanks for the pics
Bobby

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments! We used home-made prawn spinners - pink beads with a green-tipped rainbow blade. Bought the blades at GI Joes. I forget what kind they were, but they came two to a package. Oh yeah, red prawns with shrimp flavored smelly jelly on them. I think the extra scent helped in the off-colored water.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Were you guys in a blue driftboat? If so I saw you doing battle. We were in the hogline right above and scored one nice fish.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that was us. Quite a few fish caught in your hogline I noticed. The boats on either side of us each got a springer, and one also got a nice bright steelhead. They had other fish on, but lost them.

Hoping to get out again this Saturday, if the water's not too muddy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts