IFish.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last week has been a real roller coaster ride for me as far a fishing goes.

DAY#1 :hoboy: :depressed: : Decided to try something other than Maxima Ultragreen for my leader and bought some Berkley Vanish. Ended up BREAKING OFF 5 steelhead and 2 salmon in about 3 hours of fishing. Worst line I've ever fished, anyone else have this problem?

DAY#2 :grin: :grin: : Went back to the good old Maxima leader. Started fishing at 6 am, done with a limit of two beautiful steelhead by 7. Never will I doubt the Maxima again, best line ever.

DAY#3 :depressed: :depressed: :depressed: : Met a couple of buddies at the river who had already hooked and lost a salmon. 4th cast with the pink worm in a tailout, FISH ON! Very nice steelhead. First run is right at me, so I'm reeling like crazy to catch up, but I'm not getting anywhere. OH NO! Line's wrapped around the top guide. Second run, headed downstream like a bullet for these narly rapids, and off goes the top half of my rod!!! :shocked: Fish hits the rapids, breaks me off, and I watch helplessly as the top half of my new rod disappears. Sad day, let's have a moment of silence for the fallen soldier. I forgot to say, the day before I had hooked a huge chinook that took me way upstream until I decided to just thumb it and break it off. Lesson learned: CHANGE YOUR LINE after something like that. Had I done it, my mainline wouldn't have broke and I'd still have my rod.

DAY#4: Still to come. I'll get myself a new rod and get my revenge.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yep, stick with the ultragreen....best out there for my money!!

Way to go on the fish :bowdown: and too bad about the rod tip. Moment of silence....................................................................................................... :depressed:

Any chance of a river name????? :grin:

·
Registered
12,180 Posts
Sorry about your rod.

moment of silence.....

I broke off MULTIPLE fish one day on the Trask, up by the hatchery, using 10# Vanish, it broke at the knot, in the middle, in the egg loop and these were silvers. Palomar knot, Improved clinch, egg loop, it didn't matter. I sat down on a rock tied 2, 10# Maxima ultra green leaders and proceded to get 13 fish to the bank. Mostly jacks in the 14-18" range but that leader held up when the Vanish was being THRASHED BY JACKS!!!! I also have a friend that built some Salmon herring rigs for offshore trolling and had so many break offs he offered the roll of line to me....what are friends for!!?

Hopefully this "lesson" is one that other ifishers won't have to learn the hard way!

Any other flourocarbon stories? I KNOW there are some people who swear by it....it just makes me :mad: !!!

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Before plunking down your hard earned on a new fishing line you might try an ifish "search".

Go to 2002 archives and search for "Vanish". You will find that the "properties" of this line have been fully documented in the past.

Better luck next time! :wink:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Steelhead22, there's a reason they named it "Vanish", and I don't believe it has to do with clarity in the water!

Seaguar or P-Line are both good flourocarbon lines, but it's hard to beat a winner.....Maxima UG!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I've used Vanish in the past, and had decent sucess, but still didn't like breaking off 30% of the fish we hooked.

It's ok line when you get up above 10#, not so good at the 8# I was using.

The one thing that will help, as with all flourocarbon line(actually with any line) is to thoroughly wet the lines ( i.e. spit) before tightening and fully seating the knot. It reduces the heat friction from the lines, reducing the chance of breaking at the knot significantly.

Hope the rest of the week is better than the start of it.
Chris :cool:

[ 07-03-2003, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: FWF1 ]

·
Registered
218 Posts
Vanish needs to "vanish" from store shelves. Very poor quality, (read it sucks!), quite unlike the company in general, Berkly, which offers lots of other great stuff.

I used 8lb vanish for 2 two days of fishing last year and broke off at least 5 fish. To me they are so difficult to catch in the first place, we should make sure our losses are not due to faulty tackle. Pitch the vanish.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
The Bear that keeps giving, and giving and giving....

First his spinner blades,then his scent, now onto the line....what's next...???????

Sheesh ******, it's like you actually are trying to help people catch fish :rolleyes:

If you let all of the secrets out of the bag, there won't be any fish left for us :hoboy:

Chris :wink:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Sounds like bad line. Maybe would work good on small bluegill if you were careful. Somebody ought to forward this thread to Berkley. I suggest at least some letters. Maybe they will pay attention when they see it posted on Ifish. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I'm not sure who makes it for them but the Bass Pro Shops XPS flourocarbon is pretty good stuff too. Still has the good/bad parts of flouro, but its as good as Seaguar if not better. I landed a load of winter fish last year using 10 lb with no breaks.

I've had a couple experiences with Vanish. One was using it for leader last year for summer fish. I remember breaking a couple egg knots when I tightened them and felt a little concerned. Then I go down and break off two fish on the hookset. After that all those leaders went into the trash.
I have done great with 17lb Vanish. Used it in a bass tourney in Crane Prairie last year and did great with it. Either way that stuff is too suspect to rely on it. Maxima UG is great leader, too. :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts