IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I had no idea that Weyerhaeuser property was that much different than the public around it. I see so many elk and so much elk sign on public land, I have to assume this is because of other game species? Or just having less pressure? Maybe I’m in a different area also. Makes you wonder how much money a timber company is making from recreation permits.
An estimated 90% of Oregon Elk reside on private land. Weyerhaeuser is the largest landowner in the country. That is why the permits are insanely popular.

This year's permit buying system puts you at the whims of a random algorithm. Nobody is guaranteed a permit, regardless of previous buying history. To have a chance to purchase, you need to press buy the second the sale is open. Even if you click buy the moment the sale opens, you are not guaranteed a chance to purchase.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
It's like getting campground reservations at popular parks. We usually have me, wife and son on different computers. Having an accurate clock is a must. Cancel the other reservations if someone gets lucky and gets in. Its sucks but that is what it has come to :(

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have had this for over 5 years at least and this new system didn’t work for me, I logged in at the same exact time as my kids and they got theirs but when it put me back onto the page, it was sold out. Definitely a different system…

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,601 Posts
I too missed out, been hunting this land for over 30 years.

They sold out in literally less than 2 seconds. It's like a lottery. It has to be just another random draw.

Very sad what hunting has become.

I don't blame the landowner. Times have changed and with all the crap going on on there lands damaged equipment, fire risk and general destruction of there property. We are lucky they allow what we have.

·
Registered
774 Posts
When I got the permit 3 years ago, I got it mainly to pass through to hunt other timber company land that was open for walk in to the public. We had two gates we could use to enter and once in, you could not go off the permit property without loosing your permit. Those two gates were the only way in or out. They said it would be like them giving you permission to hunt someone else's land. So, we hunted in the fish bowl. All my walk in units were open for drive in and completely full of other fish bowl hunters driving all over. After a few weeks, I went elsewhere and saw more bucks in one day than I had the whole time I was in the fish bowl zoo. I killed a nice 3pt that year, far away from where I had the permit for. I will never get one again. I have better hunting now, without paying $300 to be fenced in.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I got 400+ hundo to spend elsewhere. With tags ect its a spendy limited opportunity in SW Washington.. Not trying to rain on anybody's parade here.
Been years.....but what are they charging now?

·
Registered
12,702 Posts
There's been a couple leases I've eye-balled but they never seem to come up available. Otherwise I've never hunted their properties. It's interesting to me that folks are willing to give up hunting all together because a private company charges fees to hunt their lands. There is a lot of public land in Oregon.
There is a lot of public land in western Oregon, but the number of critters per sq. mile is pathetic. Unless you find a honey hole and I haven't seen any of those in decades.
Back to the subject, it is sad what west side hunting has become but I can't blame landowners. I do blame the powers that be for the lack of hunting opportunity on our land.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Do they offer presale permits for the Molalla permit area?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The biggest problem with Weyco and their permits is they are locking people out of access to our PUBLIC LANDS. When Weyco controls the roads to public lands and gate people from accessing those public lands------THATS WRONG. In addition to that, they are basically selling tax payers game animals to whoever will pay money---of course they word it as selling access to their lands but we all know why the majority of people are paying for said access.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
The biggest problem with Weyco and their permits is they are locking people out of access to our PUBLIC LANDS. When Weyco controls the roads to public lands and gate people from accessing those public lands------THATS WRONG. In addition to that, they are basically selling tax payers game animals to whoever will pay money---of course they word it as selling access to their lands but we all know why the majority of people are paying for said access.
That’s right. They have blocked us out of the lands we own. Weyco. TRIED to block the Calapooia road, ask them how that worked out for them LOL.
And about those leases, YOU will not be able to keep others out, my cousin had one lease and realized some people will bust your face if you try to run them off.
And come fire season, good luck.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Try and find someone in the public service sector that gives a rat's patoot. Oregon used to be a mecca to outdoorsmen/woman from all over the country. It's not anymore. The new "Woke' oregon frowns on nasty stuff like killing deer and harming salmon. It's icky.
I'm not even a hunter, but I bleed for you guys that hunt and see that Oregon pretty much lost. I see fishing the same way. I came here in 1983 and was taught salmon and steelhead fishing and immersed myself in that up until 3 years ago.
Good luck guys.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Truth is, this was the most fair permit purchase since they began selling these. Everyone who logged in and hit “buy now” between 700p and 701p got assigned a random number. Guys out in the boondocks didn’t get screwed this year because they have slow internet.
I didn’t draw. I’m not happy about it. But the fact remains, this is as fair as they could make it, IMO.
I will end up spending A LOT more fuel driving back and forth to the coast, but I’ll still get my chance at a deer, elk and bear. I will still pile up gallons of chanterelles. I will still catch dozens of trout, steelhead and salmon. And I will still try to get a permit next year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That’s right. They have blocked us out of the lands we own. Weyco. TRIED to block the Calapooia road, ask them how that worked out for them LOL.
And about those leases, YOU will not be able to keep others out, my cousin had one lease and realized some people will bust your face if you try to run them off.
And come fire season, good luck.
i Surveyed the Calipooia main line years ago for the County and that same year i got a $460 ticket for Early entry in the Travel Management area, OSP didnt care to hear what i had to say, so yes i got a $460 ticket for being on a County road🤬 and my Job was threatend to not fight the ticket!! But now i have the Permit due to the fire 2 years ago and its in my back yard and my wife and I enjoy cutting firewood

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,601 Posts
Just heard a story of a guy who passed the tick of the clock by 5 minutes to apply and got a permit. I know guys who held a finger on the button for the clock change and didn't. No ryme or reason for the draw results.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts