IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I will be boarding the Gold Rush tonight with a great team of guys for a one day trip returning late Friday!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll be down there for the weekend. Preliminary plans are to fish salmon on Saturday and tuna on Sunday. Looks like really nice water is predicted for Sunday.

Todd, which day(s) do you plan to fish tuna?

Kurt

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running with my "new" crew on Sunday. The new crew is made up of my daughters and wife, all of whom have never tuna fished off of our coast. They have caught tuna and sails in Costa Rica and a couple of other places.

Todd

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Sounds like fun! Give us a call if you need a strong arm to jump ship.....You'll be fine I'm sure. Hopefully I'll catch you on the radio.
Dave

Running with my "new" crew on Sunday. The new crew is made up of my daughters and wife, all of whom have never tuna fished off of our coast. They have caught tuna and sails in Costa Rica and a couple of other places.

Todd

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm going to be wingman for the SU boat, with my boat "FishNg1". Looks like we will have nice water up till Sunday, so lets make the best of it. We are going to be arriving in Westport sometime in the evening, launching the boat and then off to catch a few winks.

Tower Todd here is my MMSI # 338012438 send me yours if you care to. Have you given your boat information to be posted on the "Saltydogs" member list? I am not sure if its been updated recently.

Steve Ng

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fishng1 - nice to meet you last week. My MMSI # is on the boat so I can get it for you Sat evening. I'll PM you my cell #.

Zodiac - Was expecting to see you at the OTC...sorry we couldn't meet. I'll be happy with 4 or 5 for the new crew and then head in. I've learned not to over do it with them onboard.

TT

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tower Todd, I think that was my brother whom you met last week, he has a 26 Olympic.

Got your PM and responded, looking forward to meeting you.

Steve

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Todd, went back to Westport late Saturday. Stopped by your boat on the way out about 5pm. Your back flap was open on the boat and there were lots of folks on the dock and was not sure if you were there. I did notice Kitchen Pass filleting tuna on the dock. Hope you scored some fish on Sunday!!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
It was pretty sloppy out there for sure, in fact it was downright rough. We went out to the 125 line and scratched up a few but could only troll North. Passed some charters on the way out and perhaps could have stuck around in their neighborhood but continued west for a while.
We started out getting hit with only one lure in the water, then spent a few hours picking up ones and an occasional fish on bait stops.We lost several fish as it was so sloppy. The swell would lift the boat as we were trying to gaff them and it was tough.
The ride out was an hour and a half but the ride in was pretty much four hard slow hours.
Our buddies did OK with an average of a dozen fish per boat and crews of 3 or 4.
It certainly was the weather I had seen predicted but John's 26ft. North River handled the water very well and it was a great boat to fish on.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OL: We were probably at the beach when you by for a visit.

We went out Sun AM about 15 minutes behind Killerbee on SU and FishNG1. It was sloppy heading out. We got to some good looking water, put out the lines, trolled for 5 minutes and the girls said they weren't going to fish, so we pulled up and headed in. Much worse on the inbound trip, only took us 2 hours though. Once back at the dock they told me they were glad that we tried anyway. Hope to get the girls some fish next time. Thanks to SU for calling out the whales for the girls to see. It was a few miles S of us and we decided to stay on course rather than pound up sea to look for it.

TT

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tower Todd, sorry I didn't get to meet you in person this Weekend. Like you said it was rough, we did manage to scratch up 14 and actually quit early for a change at 2 pm. It took us a good four hours to make it back in, and the last 3 were stressed as I was looking at my voltage going down from 10 volts the first time I noticed and finally 5.2 by the time we hit the dock. Luckily I have a mid 90's Merc 225 that would still run.

Tried to fish live bait, but it was just too windy, all we seemed to catch with the live bait were baby blue sharks.

We had planned to stay the night and go back out, but the water conditions changed that. I could have fixed the altenator problem as I had another belt, but decided to bag it.

See you another day, Steve

Next stop....last chance derby.....Lapush.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Todd, went back to Westport late Saturday. Stopped by your boat on the way out about 5pm. Your back flap was open on the boat and there were lots of folks on the dock and was not sure if you were there. I did notice Kitchen Pass filleting tuna on the dock. Hope you scored some fish on Sunday!!
I was on Kitchen Pass and probrably was manning the fillet knife when you went by.

WE got 15 tunason Sat, all on the troll. We bagged out on sunday for obvious reasons at about 15 miles out. Scrapped the tuna, and got some nice salmon on Sunday.

You guys who ventured out there for Tuna on Sunday, must be pretty hard core to want to endure that sort of a ride back in from 40 miles...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess that I was pretty lucky this weekend. Originally, I had planned to fish tuna on Sunday based on the weather forecast. I pulled in to town on Friday afternoon and talked to a couple guys who had been out who reported calm seas and good fishing. Decided to change plans and fish Saturday and Sunday. This being our third tuna trip, we decided to go ahead and try the live bait fishing. None of the three of us on board had ever fished that way but had some idea of how to do it based on talking with others and reading posts on iFish.

Anyway, we had the expected smooth seas and were able to cruise out to Gray's canyon at a good clip. For the first few troll fish caught in the morning, we tried chumming with some bait and had no results. All of the troll fish we got were just singles and after a while we kind of gave up on the bait fishing idea. At about 1:30, we had 8 fish in the box and I saw a tuna boil just ahead of the boat. I told Dan that we were about to get one and sure enough, zzzzzzzzzzz. This time I knew we were on top of a school so we tossed in some chum and I threw a swim bait in. ZZZZZZZZZZZ. We switched over to bait fishing as soon as we could and for the next couple of hours, we were able to keep the school with us. The only time that we didn't have three fish hanging was while landing and rebaiting. What a blast. I had one take my bait within one second of tossing it in the water. I had another time when I got to see 5 tuna compete for my bait within 10 feet of the boat.

At about 3:15, my dad had the presence of mind to say that we better get going if we want to get back to the fuel dock before they close at 5. We played the last fish and got underway at about 3:30. Unfortunately the north wind had come up a bit and was producing a steady chop and white caps that made the ride home considerably rougher than the ride out. We managed to push through the waves and got to the fuel dock at 4:58. Fortunately, there was another boat fueling up. Otherwise, I suspect that they would have already been shut down for the day as the attendant was eager to get out of there.

There was another person that we were planning to take out on Sunday, but when he saw what we looked like after a day of tuna fishing, he decided that he didn't have the proper attire and didn't want to sacrifice the clothes that he had brought along (pretty lame huh?). We were tired and had caught plenty so we decided not to go out again on Sunday. Since the seas got a lot rougher, it turned out to our advantage and we'll burn our gas another day...

Kurt

·
Registered
285 Posts
TT - How did you and BF Bong do the tuesday after the OTC? I am investing every penny earned into tuna gear...bought a couple 5'6" penn mariners and Shimano TLD 25s. Your tuna addiction has rubbed off on me and my bank account, but should be ready to roll next season. Thanks for introducing me to REAL FISHING! Lookin' for riggers now..... :smash:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome to the dark side BWAHAHAHAHA. We had a great ime and great water / weather. Keep an eye on Ebay for riggers as they are on there fairly consistently for good deals. I also have a few other sources, but need to know how you want to mount them.

TT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts