IFish.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody going out for tuna from Westport on Sunday? I'm planning a trip and would like to be in contact with any other boats headed out.

I'm a new Ifisher and have never been tuna fishing before but after reading the posts on this site, my heart is pounding and I'm ready to go. I have plenty of salmon fishing experience, a good boat and a crew member with tuna experience.

I met Tower Todd on the dock last weekend and after reading his report, I wish I had been tuna fishing rather than salmon fishing. We caught lots of coho and a couple of not very big kings. Kept fishing till early afternoon hoping to get something bigger but to no avail. We released about 40 coho but never got to hear the reels sing. I'm hoping to change that this weekend.

I'm planning to head out to the same area Todd mentioned in his report unless somebody gives me more recent numbers. Anyway, if you're planning a tuna trip Sunday out of Westport, I would love to be in contact with you...

Kurt

·
Registered
514 Posts
Headed out Saturday from Westport; headed SW to find some fishies of the longfin variety:food:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hey, Todd,

Does it look good in the same area you reported on previously, or in different areas? I figure it's about 49mi SW from Westport....

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Double Down will be heading out for tuna as well -- looking forward to it. We'll be monitoring channels 16 and 68. Does anyone have a recent report on the location of the fish? What is your call sign?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Welcome aboard and good luck out there. Looks like you'll have some company to assist with #s while you're out.

Make sure you lose your virginity properly. Nothing tastes as sweet as a hot, still beating tuna heart:food:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will also be heading out on Sunday. I will splash the boat Saturday afternoon, and will be at Float 5 YY (next to Tower Todd). It looks like I will be heading towards Wilapa Canyon, monitoring 68. Send me a message for further details!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll be departing from Willapa Bay and fishing the Willapa Canyon on Saturday. I'll try to post some GPS #'s Saturday night, but it might be too late for you Sunday guys to be around a computer.

Like Tower Todd said, the latest 8/9 chloro and SST shots look very good---meaning the chloro and temp breaks are very close. The green water starts turning blue at a SW 230 degree heading off of Cape Shoalwater at around 15 NM out. :yay:

I wanted to give halibut in area 1 a try, but we might not make it to the shelf before we get into the tuna. :grin:

Anyone who wants a phone call with GPS #'s on Saturday night can PM me their cell #.

Good luck everybody---this should be an epic weekend! :cheers:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'll be departing from Willapa Bay and fishing the Willapa Canyon on Saturday. I'll try to post some GPS #'s Saturday night, but it might be too late for you Sunday guys to be around a computer.

Like Tower Todd said, the latest 8/9 chloro and SST shots look very good---meaning the chloro and temp breaks are very close. The green water starts turning blue at a SW 230 degree heading off of Cape Shoalwater at around 15 NM out. :yay:

I wanted to give halibut in area 1 a try, but we might not make it to the shelf before we get into the tuna. :grin:

Anyone who wants a phone call with GPS #'s on Saturday night can PM me their cell #.

Sent you a PM...

·
Registered
33 Posts

I am going out of Westport on Saturday, If you find them before we do
shoot me some numbers ch 68 Outdoordad
Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
I thought about the halibut possibilities also but since area 2 is closed, it looks like it's not actually legal:

Action: Marine Area 2 closes for halibut fishing; anglers may not fish for, retain, possess or land Pacific halibut into Marine Area 2.

From https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/erules/erule.jsp?id=494
Yeah I just figured that out too...I guess area 2-1 still counts as area 2. Maybe I could ground the boat on Long Beach and pass the fish off to my wife before driving home. :wink:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Looks like I'll be in the chase Saturday also. Will moniter Ch. 68 Call sign MYSON. See you all out there. Gotta get on the road and get down there tonight to get some stuff done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts