IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post on Ifish although I have been lurking for a long time. Seems like a great bunch of fisherpeople on this site.
Well as you have all heard by now, after being printed up in all the Seattle papers, etc. of my large...uh.....huge King, here is a picture for you all to enjoy.
It has been a great year out of Westport, and I am quite sure that in the next few weeks my trophy will be topped. You all know we are going to be having a great fall in our rivers.
Well here it is.....60 lbs, 5 oz on a certified scale.

Caught in 243 feet of water, with a fish flash and whole herring, 65 feet on the Scotty.
BTW, if you are at Westport soon, look us up on Float 17, GHPSA
Steve Ng aka FishNg1

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
WOW! ... what an entrance! What a fish! Only thing bigger than that fish is your smile! You look justifiably proud. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
:shocked: HOLY SHNIKIES :shocked:

Now for all those lurkers out there this is the way to do a first post

Oh ya, welcome to Ifish, I hope you keep postin pictures like that :cheers:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
That's the way to start posting here. Congrats.

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
WOW! WOW! WOW!

:shocked:

OK! I have an idea, everyone... You know new member stories? OK.. No one can post any questions until they catch a 60 pound King and post it with their introduction!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What a beautiful fish! I feel like I need to roll out the red carpet!

Jen

·
Registered
454 Posts
Way to go steve! Saw the pic on PP and then in the seattle times. I like this pic of you holding that monster better though! Glad you joined ifish. For those of you that don't know fshng1 he will be a great contributer to this board! As tradition states though you must now give us a story (how about the story of the 60 lbr. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: ) Again welcome aboard

Canyon Man

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
:shocked:
:cheers: :bowdown:

Wow, congrats on that hog. That is one very impressive fish.

Welcome to Ifish. You obviously will fit right in here.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Man I just looked at that picture again and wanted to say for a SECOND time that is one freakin nice chrome hog... truly a fish of a lifetime :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Way to go Steve.

I have not fished West Port like I should have this year, The Tiderunner had a leaky fuel tank (5" in bilge when I found it) & Safeco insurance baulked at paying for 3 months. But when I have fished, I have come home with some nice fish. Nothing close to yours however. Talked to Mike B. there a time or two & Jerry P.

I am going to try the Willapa this week-end. Heard of a 40#er taken there early in the week, so I'll will switch to the sled & take a shot at it there.

I'll try to make the GH PSA meeting this month.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
That is the biggest freakin salmon I've ever seen :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
And a perfect chromer at that! :cheers:

Welcome to Ifish!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Oh my! That is a nice way to introduce yourself. That is a fish of a lifetime for me, big and chrome. Welcome to Ifish. :cheers:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Leroy, (The machinist), I saw you out there a few weeks ago when my brother was out with his family. Yes fishing has been good this year with sevcral fish to 45 pounds caught this year.
The big fish is in the freezer until our next meeting in a few weeks, where I plan on bringing it for one last look. I am sure Jerry P is just a wee bit.....for topping his 58 pounder.
We shall be returning this Sunday, Monday to fish again and then will be back for two more Sundays, weather permitting. Then its off to Lapush for the Last Chance Derby.

Thanks gals and guys, for all the praises, etc.
my head is getting to big for my ball cap!

Steve Ng

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay CanyonMan, here is the story. Actually I will tell you the story of the 42 I caught the day before. It all started when the pawl on my Shimao Calcutta 300 malfuntioned. So I grabbed another rod and took the reel off of it, an Ambassador 6500. It seemed to have about 25 pound Ande' on it. Well I went back to fishing with it and put it down at about 55 feet on the rigger. The rod goes off and the reel starts to sing as the King rips off line, about this time I look at the spool and the 25 ande turns into 30 lb power-pro. I am thinking what kinda knot did I tie into this, when the powerpro turns into 15 lb ande. I look at my partner and say OOOPs, remembering that this was probably a reel that I must have stored some extra line on or something. Well to make this a short story, I did get all the line back and the nice 42 in the boat. I put that reel away, to be respooled at the dock.

Now for the rest of the story, Did I mention the 6 - 7 foot blue shark? Here is the saga of the 60 pounder I landed.
Well the downrigger popped and by the way the reel was leaving my reel, I knew I had a large fish. So I yelled at my partner Michael to turn the boat around.
He was busy getting his gear up, and I looked at my ambassador 7000, which holds lots of 25 pound mono and I noticed that I was going to be spooled soon. I told him to just leave his gear in the water and turn the boat around. He got the boat turned around and his gear up and I started reeling like a mad man to catch up and get some line back in. Thats when the fish started hunkering down and did the "get some line in and let some line out, routine" Well, I looked towards the stern of the boat and what do I see.....a 6 foot blue shark just waiting for a snack. Michael starts pounding the water with the net, which I think just attracted him more, because he actually almost hit him with the net. Well with about 50 yards of line to go, the shark dives, and we see him no more, but know like a seal, he's just waiting. I get the fish almost all the way up then I see the shark, my heart sunk , I thought I just had a shark all this time. I then looked under the boat and saw the HUGE King, I pretty much hogged that baby in and told my partner to net it, which he did, it barely fit in my large net.
We could not help acting like Yayhoos, giving each other high fives (Don't normally do that kinda stuff) but what the heck. With these huge fish this year, look for mine to be topped in 2003.

Thanks again ladies and gentlemen.
Steve Ng

1 - 20 of 35 Posts