IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whalerone & I ran out to Wilipa Canyon for some excellent action yesterday. Took along some live bait.....(you know I am a die hard troller and it was hard for me to change). The bait thing was pretty cool and we had a great time. We got some lessons from one of the commercial guys on our dock who was kind enough to teach us the way they Jack Pole the fish and how they keep the fish close. I can attest that the tips that he shared worked. We had the school off of our transom for 2 hours straight. What a blast! Good numbers of fish and some really meaty ones as well. Our largest is estimated between 30-35, although he never made it on a scale so it is a guess.

The action was just inside the 46.30 / 125.50 mark. Live bait and a cedar plug were our weapons. Nice water and sunny in the late morning. Also if you are buying bait in Westport be sure to confirm the price and amount that you are getting. Something seemed to get lost in traslation when it came time to pay for the bait. The going rate is $5 per pound, 10 pounds in a scoop.

TT

· Registered
2,404 Posts
also fished out of westport but was about 25 miles north of you. we landed fish but not near as many. boat is full at about 16 fish as they are so meaty this year.pink clones did most of the work.

· Registered
120 Posts
Never heard the term "Jack Pole". What's it mean?

I also had the guys at Westport charging me $25 for a scoop of fish - I guess they are looking to pocket lunch money on the side. How did your bait do in your livewell? The pounding on the way out last Thursday probably didn't help but I had a lot of bait die off early. I think I'm going to add an aerator to my livewell to give the bait a little extra oomph.

· Registered
21,998 Posts
I'm sure that is what Todd meant. 124.50 would be the place. Nice report.

· Registered
516 Posts
Never heard the term "Jack Pole". What's it mean?

I also had the guys at Westport charging me $25 for a scoop of fish - I guess they are looking to pocket lunch money on the side. How did your bait do in your livewell? The pounding on the way out last Thursday probably didn't help but I had a lot of bait die off early. I think I'm going to add an aerator to my livewell to give the bait a little extra oomph.
Jack poling/ lift poling is this:

http://content.cdlib.org/xtf/view?d...=d0e273&brand=calisphere&doc.view=entire_text

Pure madness!

As for your livewell, make sure that you have adequate flow- that's the key to keeping your bait alive. Also, don't overfill/crowd the bait tank- that's a sure way to have a dead tank quickly.

· Registered
116 Posts
Forecast for Sat. this far out looks nasty for smaller boats
THU
N WIND 15 TO 20 KT...WITH A FEW GUSTS TO 25 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 4 FT. W SWELL 6 FT.

THU NIGHT
N WIND 15 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 4 FT. W SWELL 6 FT.

FRI
N WIND 20 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 5 FT. NW SWELL 6 FT.

SAT
N WIND 15 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 4 FT. W SWELL 6 FT.

· Registered
863 Posts
I too was out there on 8/19 We stuck it to em on the troll. I think we were pretty close to 124.50 it sure was flat out there, coudnt have asked for a better day.... well, maybe an exotic would have been cool!!!

· Registered
120 Posts
Jack poling/ lift poling is this:
As for your livewell, make sure that you have adequate flow- that's the key to keeping your bait alive. Also, don't overfill/crowd the bait tank- that's a sure way to have a dead tank quickly.
My tank is not ideal by any means but it should be able to keep at least a smaller amount of bait going. It's just one of those under-seat wells with 25 gallons. The pump is dual washdown / livewell though and only does 220gph. I should probably put in a dedicated livewell pump that does more like 800gph.

That's a cool article on old time tuna fishing!

Has anyone added something like this to their livewell? Do the big charters run any sort of oxegenator on their wells?
http://www.rule-industries.com/prod...le_oxygenator_systems_copy/iid_2569/index.htm

· Registered
516 Posts
In your case, I'd replace your pump with a higherflow Shurflo pump, and put a flow control valve inline; or, plumb a 2nd dedicated pump for your washdown.

25 gallons should be plenty for a half scoop of bait- that's more than enough for a day on the water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.