·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Updated ~ story at post #10)

My folks are coming to visit. :grin: :grin:

I get to go fishin' with my Dad. :dance:

I don't have a boat and only one day to fish. :shocked:

He is leaving what is reported to be the best walleye fishing that Colorado has seen in 50 years to visit. How do I make it up to him?

Where to go? :shrug: Jetty? river bank? Lake shore?

If you were in my shoes, where would you go and what would you fish for? I am only seeking some direction and suggestions.

[ 07-07-2003, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: pdxkevin ]

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
If you could swing a charter boat out of Garabaldi, Depoe or Newport for some Coho action, the fishing is pretty hot right now, and the charter's don't seem to be that booked.

The last time I heard, I think a charter for Coho is around $60 per person.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Good morning Kevin. Take Andy's advice and hit the ocean for silvers. Garibaldi charters are on (503)322-0007

Hope it works out for you. A combo Salmon/bottom fishing trip is a blast.

[ 06-26-2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
WALLEYE? He don't need no stinking Walleye!

I think the guys got it right. Get some salt on him. The price is right and he can't do that in Coloradee.

Second choice would be oversized Sturgeon. Need to book a guide soon if you decide to go with this plan and the price will be higher. Take the camera. Send him home with stories of fish that would inhale his Walleye like little fish crackers.

Splurge. You only get so many chances to take the ol' Man fishing. Grab them while you can.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
The Coho thing will take him way out of his element for a real nice change.
Anyway have you caught a Walleye lately? :sleep:
A pricier suggestion would be Guided Summer Steelhead on the Cowlitz. :cool:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I read your post last night but could not think of a thing. After reading Andy's post he has the best idea. I think you could do a charter trip pretty cheap.

If that does not work post which day he is coming and maybe someone will take you out... depending on the day I might be able to do it :grin:

:cheers:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Charter trip out of Newport. I hear they're catching LOTS of Coho out there with the occasional King to mix things up.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the great tips and advice. I am going to check into the charters to see what is the best all around package.

Again thanks.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's set. Found a deal for some bottom fishing/crabbing combo. I have been hearing of nice sized ling cods coming in lately. From talking with a bunch of charters, most thought the bottom/crab combo to be the most all around fun for the dollar.

I can't wait. Got the pocket camera loaded with film already.

Crabbait, You're right. My wife agrees with you and is letting me go fishing on our 2nd Aniv. :bowdown:

5-Cents, Thank you for the offer. It was very kind and generous. We are booked for a charter now. Again thank you.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We went out yesterday, Sunday July 6th. I am so glad for the advice on the charters. We ended up going on an 8 hour bottom fishing and crabbing trip out of Depoe Bay.

We almost didn't make it. I haven't been out to Depoe Bay down Hwy 18 before and thought that Depoe Bay was north of Linclon City. Well we were nearly to Tillamook before I realized the mistake.

OK it was early and I hadn't had any coffee yet. As soon as I figured out the mistake, we spun around and back tracked....

We made it with about 5 minutes to spare.

The crew and boat, the Morning Star, was great. Friendly, very knowledgable, in great spirit, and entheusiastic. The boat was a very nice 43' double hulled wooden boat or ship. (I am not sure at what size a boat becomes a ship.)

I caught my fist and second ling cods ever on this trip. The first was 25" and ended up as that nights dinner. The second was 22" and went back to sea to grow a bit more. We limited out on black sea bass. Nice sized ones too! We came home with 20 black seabass and a ling cod all filetted out, and 6 nice freshly caught and cooked crabs. :grin:

It was really great getting out and fishing with my Dad. The Captain and his crew made this a trip I know we will repeat. He didn't play around waiting for fish. When a spot didn't produce he quickly got us over to one that did. Very relaxing and fun fishing trip. It is clear that they enjoy what they are doing and take great pride in their boat and service.

I highly recommend it to everyone. The Morning Star opporates out of Trade Winds Charters in Depoe Bay.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by AtWorkALot:
Sounds great. Did your Pap have a good time? :cheers:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Yep so much so we both have white areas in the creases of our light wind/sunburned grins!

It was the first time he'd been back on the ocean since he was in the Navy back in '65. I got to hear some great stories I never heard before. He really relaxed and enjoyed the day.

[ 07-07-2003, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: pdxkevin ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts