IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know, there are are dozens of posts started about Wenaha by eager tag holders. Sorry, but I am going to create one more.

Those of you that have read my posts on seasons know that I will check in regularly with updates on scouting trips, in season happenings and photos/videos. At the end (end of year) we will release a video capturing the adventures and misadventures of the season.

Well, we thought Keith would draw last year with 21 points. He beat the odds and was one of the 5 people with this total to not pull a tag. Here we are a year later, with 22 points, he was able to get the job done. He is the last of 3 brothers to draw this tag. I (Troy) drew in 2019 and Skip in 2020. We both got nice bulls. We are hoping to turn our time spent in this unit during archery season in to an even bigger bull for Keith. With friends drawing this tag in 2015, we have spent 3 seasons hunting this unit. Still one more to look forward to. Our good buddy Randy will be up next. He should draw in the next couple years with 22 points for 2023.

Keith has already spent a couple days over there setting up trail cameras. Got food poisoning and had to drive 7 hours back to the valley, Uggh! Our next scouting trip will be a deep dive into the wilderness for 4 days, probably in the next 3 weeks. Going to set up more trailcams. In 2020 we had as many as 19 up at a time. We are still collecting and probably have 30 now. Not sure if we will get all of them up. We currently have 7 up now. 30 cameras sounds great initially, but, at some point you have to go pick most of them up.

Maybe this year we will experience the craziness that typically happens after the middle of September. Our bulls were shot on Sept, 13th, 11th and 9th respectively. I have the entire season off so I don't care if it happens on the last day. :)

I will check back in after our next scouting trip and let you know how things look in the unit and what we see. Cheers!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Good luck. Hopefully I'm in the same boat next year. I will be going in with 21 points. Crossing my fingers! My son drew Sled any bull so that'll be a great diversion till I draw. Keep us posted on how you do.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I can stop waiting for the 2021 video and start waiting for the 22, got it.
Ha, yes. I did post on iFish somewhere that we didn't draw last year, but failed to follow up on the season long thread. My apologies. We will post a video this year, tag filled or not. My brother claims he is not going to put it together this year since he is the hunter this time and it is a lot of work. If he truly does not want to do the video, one of us will make sure it gets done.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck. Hopefully I'm in the same boat next year. I will be going in with 21 points. Crossing my fingers! My son drew Sled any bull so that'll be a great diversion till I draw. Keep us posted on how you do.
Good luck Fowler, but it may be 2-3 years if you have 21 points for 2023. There were 37 people that have 21 points this year and did not draw. That group will suck up all of the 75% pool tags next year. That leaves 8 that still will not draw. If you have 21 points for 2023, you will be in the 25% pool with the rest of us. With the 39 people that had 20 points this year for this choice, without trend numbers like Ron does, this would put you at about 62% chance in 2024. But hey, 1 out of 400 in the 25% pool is still way better than trying to win the lottery. Good luck and I hope you get your tag.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, our first full scouting trip to Wenaha will be this weekend. My brother made a quick trip to set up a few cameras back in late June, but we are going to hike into the wilderness this weekend. In our 3 seasons there, we did not hunt or scout the Western side of the unit much so we are going to check out some area on that side. Anyone here familiar with the Kendall Skyline road? I have heard it is not the best maintained road. Anybody travel the section from Jubilee lake to the Washington border recently? I am not too worried as I have an F250 with a 6" lift so if it is passible, we will have no problems, just trying to get a sense of how bad the road is.

I will report next week how the scouting trip went. I have been looking forward to this two night trip into the wilderness since I found out my brother drew the tag. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, our first full scouting trip to Wenaha will be this weekend. My brother made a quick trip to set up a few cameras back in late June, but we are going to hike into the wilderness this weekend. In our 3 seasons there, we did not hunt or scout the Western side of the unit much so we are going to check out some area on that side. Anyone here familiar with the Kendall Skyline road? I have heard it is not the best maintained road. Anybody travel the section from Jubilee lake to the Washington border recently? I am not too worried as I have an F250 with a 6" lift so if it is passible, we will have no problems, just trying to get a sense of how bad the road is.

I will report next week how the scouting trip went. I have been looking forward to this two night trip into the wilderness since I found out my brother drew the tag. Will keep you posted.
Awesome. Enjoy your trip. I’ll be south east of you looking for a shooter in Lookout Mountain.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

I was up scouting last

l was up scouting for my hunt last weekend and drove that road to the Washington side and it is not a very good road. It has turned to very deep powder over much of the road and it covers some rocks that you can't see to avoid so go slow.
I ended up getting a tire puncture and had to change the tire in 110 degree heat in the Umatilla area on the way home, not a pleasant event. Have a good time and hope temps are better than last weekend , l was getting readings on my truck of 102 degrees at 4500 feet. It was very hot to be hiking around in, but still found a nice herd with lots of cows and bulls in it along with a bull that bugled three times at the cows that were leaving his bedding area.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Skyline is a bit bumpy and very very dusty in spots but easily driveable with any average truck. Roads on the east side of wenaha like 62 are much better than the west but I wouldn't worry about it other than it takes longer to get from point A to point B. Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I’ve done tons of trips on skyline road in a 2002 Subaru Outback, 2012 Outback, 99 suburban, 16 Tacoma, and once in a 3/4 ton pick up.

It’s rutted out and ruff a ways past jubilee lake cutoff heading north, but any of those rigs make it fine. The 3/4 ton truck was the worst to drive in it. Got beat to death

·
Registered
6,494 Posts

Trail cams are nice this time of year but you really just want to see cows on the cams. The bulls will not be where you get them on camera come Sept. Its is great fun but will do little. I have set up cams and had the same bull in Aug. and 2 different cams in 2 days 5 miles apart. Look for cows and where they hang, IMO.

Reactions: Bull711

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trail cams are nice this time of year but you really just want to see cows on the cams. The bulls will not be where you get them on camera come Sept. Its is great fun but will do little. I have set up cams and had the same bull in Aug. and 2 different cams in 2 days 5 miles apart. Look for cows and where they hang, IMO.
This is the exact same experience I had a few years back. My buddy who lives in enterprise drew sled and wineha back to back 2 years in a row, planted trail cams all summer long 45 minute drive into woods. Come September, bull activity changed ...

Good luck

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Brian. Yes, I understand the bulls are not where they will be in September. We have hunted this unit a number of times and have documented this pattern. First week to 10 days of the season, you have to get down in the holes to find some of the bigger bulls. About September 10th, most of them come up to the top. We are focusing our cameras in areas they will be in September. We use the cameras after that first week or two to locate the bulls we want to hunt. It has proven to be an affective strategy. This year we have a specific bull in mind, just need to find him before a certain person that dropped some serious coin to hunt the area finds him first.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So this will probably be our last scouting trip to the unit before the season starts. Did a weekend hike into the wilderness in a new area for us. Did not see a lot of animals, but did see some cows. However, there was a lot of sign so that is encouraging. The area we were in had very little water sources. Find two small wallows, a small trickle of a stream and a small spring with water. Nearest water to our spike camp was about 1 mile away. Had to make 3 trips during the weekend to have adequate water for the 7 of us. Seems strange to be that far into an area and see other people's trailcams, but we spotted 3. Two of which were on water areas. None of them were cellular, so someone must head in there regular to check cards. We set up 4 trailcams in the area. Was able to have service at one location that we spotted cows in so I set up a cellular. Hoping to see some photos coming in soon. I will send more info after the first weekend of the season. Not really expecting too much as the first weekend can be slow in this unit unless you hike down into the wilderness, which we don't plan to do that weekend as most of use have to work that week. Then it is 3 straight weeks of looking for that one bull that excites the hunter enough to shoot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts