IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a aluminum fuel tank and it is leaking I am going to take it out this weekend. I called around today and the lowest I could find is $150 if anyone knows some place that does it for less could you please let me know..thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
that could be tricky to weld expecly(spilling)after having gas in it couse of all the funes that stay in it.You may want to try some local sheet metal shop.

Good luck

Ray G.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
$150 isn't bad when I had mine fixed Steven's Marine charged me $350. They did an excellent job just hurt a little in the pocket book.

One of my friends just picked up a new heli-arc welder and might cut you a deal, I will email his number to you tomorrow.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
If you don't use one of these other guys, let me know. This kind of stuff is routine for our fab shop at work (tank trucks). We're in North Portland, and it would probably have to be done during the week.

K

·
0 Posts
:depressed: Fuel tanks WILL explode when they are welded :depressed:

Have it done by someone that knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Why weld it? Rough up the area with a little emery cloth, dry and degrease the area and get a couple of tubes of JB Weld, mix it up, slather it on, wait for the stuff to harden and you are done. This stuff works! Probably the most important part of the process is cleaning the area. Use acetone or lacquer thinner to clean the area after you have polished and roughed it up with the emery cloth.

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
I agree with the JB weld if that can work for you.
That tank could be a "weapon of mass distruction"
when welded with any residue or fumes still remaining. Be safe!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
If you get the tank welded, be sure to let it drain after you get it back. Before welding the tank is filled with water to displace the fumes. Also, I would suggest a couple of bottles of
"HEAT" to remove the remaining moisture. HEAT can be found at Schucks or NAPA ect.

Tanks! Tanks Alot! My new name for a welding shop :cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had my aluminum gas tank for the boat re-welded at Acme Welding on SE Salmon for $64.50 this spring. Did a good job at a good price. Had me drain it and wash it out with Dawn and hot water a couple of times before I took it to him. I ran a gallon or so of gas in it after I got it back an swished it around and dumped it. Everything came out great. Did it in a couple of days turn-around. Stevens was a three week wait. Hope this helps. E mail me and I will send you the phone number :cheers:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Pretty tough to weld aluminum filled with water. Actually, welding gas tanks is pretty simple, you run an exhaust hose into the tank from a running engine, that creates an inert atmosphere. Weld away. JB Weld might work if you can get the crack clean enough and there is not much flex to the tank. JB doesn't flex well at all. If you use JB and then end up getting it welded, your weldor will not be too please with you 'cause he (or she) is going to have to grind it off. BTW, the best heliarc weldors that I knew were women.

On afterthought, if you are going to weld it yourself, don't do it indoors with CO pumping into the tank. And yes, the tank will need to be degreased, the hot water and Dawn will work. Alumimun needs to be pretty clean before being welded. I'm surprised that you can't get a new tank for some of the costs quoted, but then its been more than 20 years since I made my living welding.

[ 04-18-2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: James in Idaho ]

·
Registered
532 Posts
how about 2.50 for a tube of JB Weld, or some other type of sealer-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts