IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the best scale for weighing fish in the boat, I am talking for Salmon, is a digital or spring scale best? I am thinking that I need something to go up to around 60 LBS. or is it just best to guess and always have big fish LOL.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
138 Posts
There is certainly a reason I dont own a scale, haha, the big fish idea sounds about right. Anyways, I think both types of scales are accurate if you buy a quality product, and check it against a scale you know is correct often. But im no expert, thats just what ive been told by others who are much more informed than I.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
I have found that spring scales do not have a very long life in a saltwater environment. I have never seen a digital scale that will weigh a fish over 50lbs.

I currently use a digital. Even with it, you have to try to weigh fish when the boat is not rocking or it is anybody's guess as to the actual weight.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I prefer to just look at them and estimate the poundage. :wink: You always catch larger fish by using this method. :laugh:

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
The secret to weighing fish has nothing to do with the type of scales. The technique for impressive fish is to either stuff them full of lead weights...or if you can get away with it, pull down on the fishes tail while holding its head attached to the scale up out of the picture

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
I find that a sharp upward lift at the time of the picture results in a pleasing number on the scale. :smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts