IFish.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a busy 3 days.....
A group chartered the boat for Friday, 5 guys and Fishbait helping on the deck. These guys wanted a light tackle day casting and jigging, and knew their stuff. They even brought their own chum and casting rods! We started off trolling just outside Banana, scratched a few, then ran out to a 44.55x124.44 call. The drill was to troll until we got a double, then chum and deploy swimbaits. WOW! the record was 9 fish for a stop, lots of triples and quads. Ended with 40 in the box, at least 20 broken off, and many others unhooked. They had enough around 2 or so, pulled a couple buckets full of crab on the way in. Everything was unloaded, pictures taken, and I cleaned up for day 2.

Boatdog, his wife Nancy, along with Trollin and Jigfish 2002, deckhand Fishbait, and deckhand-in-training Snug2 had a great day. Making meat was the goal, so we trolled handlines and heavy rods most of the time, only a couple on light gear on the stops. 45 in the box by 1 pm was enough, so we went after salmon. Got 1 king off the pile, then hit the 40 fathom line for silvers. Only 1 clipped for about 10, ran the pots for crab, and back to port around 6. A great crew that worked well together and knew their stuff. Both Steve and Andrew qualify as great deckhands if anyone is lucky enough to get them.......

Sunday was my Take-a-Soldier fishing day. The weather was much sportier than forcast right out of the chute. We ran--or rather crawled--north instead of beating straight into it. It took a couple hours to get into tuna water, but we were entertained by porpoises, whales, and sunfish on the way. It was definitely slower fishing than the first 2 days, only singles to start as we trolled west. The water layed down quite a bit as we went, so we ran out to Friday's numbers. There were lots of ******* working the area, and we got more action, but still not wide open. Early Bird called us in to a bite NW of Banana, I think he was the only private guy out there. A 20 minute run put us on more fish, but still slower than expected. I finally switched over to swimbaits and slowed down,FISH ON! We didn't troll 5 minutes between hookups, with triples and even a quad. Quite a few fish were lost, and many broken off, but the guys had a blast. Being big, strong, get-r done types, they tended to grab the reel and hoist when the fish were in sight, and 20# mono isn't up to that treatment when the fish inhale the baits.....Andrew, Snug2, not only deckhanded, but paid the fuel bill to take this group out. We burned 140 gal due to rough water, compared to 90 on Friday for the same mileage. Andrew is the official ifish financial consultant, and he also hosted the ifish sporting clay shoot 2 months ago. He is a great guy as well as a tremendous ifish supporter, so here's a huge THANKS! to Snug2:cheers:.

There were many dogs on the water both Friday and Saturday calling out numbers, lures, colors, etc. I can't come close to recalling everyone I heard or saw, but it seemed like a big convention out there. My hat's off to all the ifishers for making this such a great community on and off the water. Maverick out.

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
Excellent report Maverick, Nice work. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thanks for the report Mark. I was wondering if anyone got out. It's interesting how speed can make all the difference in the world, to get the strike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts