IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any of you that know about the curse on kodiakfisher here is more proof.

No elk sightings = 1 keeper sturgeon I kept my eyes closed while going over Cornelius Pass road to make sure I didn't see any elk, small fry was driving. :dance:

I went fishing with small fry and his step son in the snow! Yes we braved the snow to go sturgeon fishing. Small fry can now have the title of hardcore fisherman. We boated about 25 fish, measured two, his was about 39 and mine was 43 couple others would have gone over 30.

It was a fun day on the water, small fry nailed the first three fish that touched his bait. I have fished with him before and that was an impressive feat. :grin: . His step son chris had constant action most of the day just couldn't get one big enough to measure. :shrug:

I will be taking my diesel 4wd over to fish with sturgeon42 tomorrow and hooking up his boat to launch at St. Johns (Catheadral park?sp) I should have no problems with snow on the ramp. :wink: Looking forward to another day on the river. :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Hi Kodiakfisher

You mentioned in your post about having no trouble with the snow on the ramp in St. John's. Do you have studs on your 4wd? I would like to go out this weekend but I'm concerned about damaging my boat especially if there is ice.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have aggressive mud and snow tread. I haven't launched out of St. Johns yet tomorrow will be the first time. I do quite a bit of winter driving. if the ramp is ice all bets are off, but it is just snow no problem if need be I can chain up all four tires to get out with boat in tow.

Another trick is back the rear wheels into the water to get started and apply light parking brake pressure to help a posi track transfer more torque to the non-slipping wheel. You could also watch someone else launch and if they spin pulling an empty trailer out you might reconsider.

I'm not worried about St. Johns it is not a very steep ramp. Freds marina and Goble are both much steeper. If you have street/hwy tires I would stay off of boat ramps if at all slick, even if you have 4wd IMHO.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
[Thanks for the advice? I've launched from St. Johns many times but never with snow on it. If I do decide to travel there I'll watch and check the ramp out closely before attempting to put my boat in. I have a 4wd with street tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts