IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We talked about it, we planned for it, and it finally happened...The Spouse Trip! Mr. & Mrs. Ogrejager joined Mr. & Mrs. Reel Knotty aboard the yet-to-be-named 21' Seahawk and we went in search of Tuna.

Up at 0 dark 30 on Tuesday 7th the and out the door. The made our way to Depoe Bay and launched around 5:30 in the morning (was already a busy little port at that time). Seas were pretty nice with some fog near shore and we made our way out about 6:45 or so. We were planning on making our way toward the 61 spot, but stopped quite a bit short of that when we found a temperture edge and some water color change (but not a lot). We trolled for 1/2 hour without a hit, so decided to make our way to the banana as we had heard of some action there on the radio. Got there, and nothing...not the way Ogrejager and myself had hoped (and dreamed) this trip would start out. :crazy:

We picked up and headed toward the 61 spot and dropped the gear a little South(it is about 9 AM now...)...Whoohooo! We found one! (44 54 over 124 38)

Mrs. Ogerjager caught her first Tuna! :clap:

Back in the water for a short while and BANG.

Mrs. Reel Knotty has her first Tuna! :yay:

We hit a very long dry spell after those two and trolled around a lot of other boats for a while. Not a single hit. The conditions worsened a bit and we started rocking and rolling a bit in our little boat. Niether of the spouses would say anything, but they were not feeling real great. We started trolling in and we found a double!

We circled around, and around, and around finding more fish and big smiles. We were at 44 52 over 124 33. The hot tickets were small cedar plugs with purple/black hoochies and a daisy chain that was all purple/black.

The girls fought bravely and never complained about not feeling great. The showed true salty dog spirit and got a chance to bond with their husbands on the brine. We called the day around 1 or so and started back for port.

We ended up with a very happy crew and some great fish to feed our families. The fish were of good quality with the biggest tipping the scale at 28 lbs.

After a carking session (man the girls are good at that!!) we ate dinner at Flashbacks before the trip home for a hot shower, and a great nights sleep after a fantastic trip!!

Thank you Mr. & Mrs. Ogrejager and Mrs. Reel Knotty for a trip I will remember for a long time. :applause::wave:

· Registered
2,135 Posts
WTG guys for making this happen. I'm sure it will be a good memories for all.
And what a great job done :clap: by the gals keeping good spirits when you aren't feeling tip top. :sick:
These posts help me in getting my wife out. She feels as thou she is missing out on some real good times.:shrug:

· Scallywag
3,215 Posts
That's great! :cheers:

Got my wife out for her first TUNA a couple weeks ago, too. Best thing I ever did to her .... um, FOR her! :grin:

Great pics! And now when they don't go they'll understand more completely what's involved and why your so tired, sore, and late coming home. :passout:

· Banned
8,835 Posts
That's gotta be one of the great posts of this season!!! Those smiles say it all. Kudos to the ladies who take the chance and stick it out, and to the guys who work hard to make it happen for them. My wife is my right hand on the briney (and everywhere else) and it's good to see the ladies smackin' the tuners.

And, yes, Tuesday was not entirely as predicted. It was a LOT bumpier than we expected. In fact, Wednesday we got more of what we expected on Tuesday, which was nice after the tossing-around we got the day before.

I suspect there will be more of this stuff in your future. And to the ladies - :bowdown: :applause: :bowdown:

Oh, and :flowered:

Skein

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention on the post: The ladies brought in all but one tuna themselves...Ogrejager and I were just deck hands :smile:

· Registered
1,212 Posts
Just awesome to see those smiles on those Ifisherwomen. Heck, mine gets car sick driving to the beach.
I didn't know that Depoe Bay cloned the background and the cleaning station just like in Newport??????Was the Depoe cleaning station booked solid?
Did the lady who hooked the 28lb and landed it have anything to say to you guys when it came aboard? That must have been a real rush for her to hook, wind the line and land that big ALBIE.
Gr8 job and kudo's for taking the ladies along.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just awesome to see those smiles on those Ifisherwomen. Heck, mine gets car sick driving to the beach.
I didn't know that Depoe Bay cloned the background and the cleaning station just like in Newport??????Was the Depoe cleaning station booked solid?
Did the lady who hooked the 28lb and landed it have anything to say to you guys when it came aboard? That must have been a real rush for her to hook, wind the line and land that big ALBIE.
Gr8 job and kudo's for taking the ladies along.
The Depoe Bay cleaning station, uh, er, didn't stimulate the noses of our lovely wive's in a positive manner after not feeling well on the water, shall we say. I also needed to drop by England Marine to replace some lost halibut gear from an earlier trip and it was getting late, sooo....

The lady that landed the 28 lb albie said something to the effect that the fish kicked her [petunia]!

· Registered
430 Posts
Great job to all:cheers:
Like has been said, I will use this to help convince my wife to get out there with me. We'll have to do some shorter trips first, though. And then I can take her out on a Glacier Bay sea trial and she'll know what I like to fantasize about:pray:
Thanks for breaking ground for the rest of us with uncertain spouses.

· Registered
11,464 Posts
Awesome! :cheers: Nice job guy's, way to hang in there Ladies on what looks like a rough day.

· Registered
4,804 Posts
Looks like a blast! Nice work ladies! I didn't think women would make very good tuna fishermen until I took one out on my boat. My friend Eric's wife really put the hurt to 'em a few weeks ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.