IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
16,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: We may hate \'em, but c\'mon...

OK OK, I can't take the guilt anymore.......................it it it was the whales, yeh that's it, the killer whale shot them. No no no wait, I think it was the seal, yeh yeh that's it , it was the seal......... :grin:

I really don't advocate this sort of thing but couldn't resist.

JK

·
Registered
412 Posts

I look at it this way. We lost 2 California Sea lions but probably gained a few hundred salmon (this year). It's too bad the government won't do anything to control the population. HJ

·
Administrator
119,702 Posts

It's too bad that the government ever tried to "control" nature.

When will we ever get it? When will it sink in? There is a balance here on earth, and if you "control" one thing, another goes out of whack!

We were responsible for the decline, and now the overpopulation...

It frustrates me to no end.

Jen :hoboy:

·
Registered
27 Posts

well put jennie, i couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
12,322 Posts

Originally posted by 24 on/ 48 off:
The animals were said to have been dead one week before they were found ... and were in excellent physical condition.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Now that is amazing. And I can't keep sand shrimp in excellent physical condition for more than a few days. I'll bet sea lions would really stay fresh in the refrigerator.

·
Registered
147 Posts

we all hate to see fish lost, a bunch when thay are on the end of our line but 24/7 is right the lions are doing what thay do its not sport or rec for them its life and death. it makes no differance which river it is all of them on the west coast are home feeding grounds when the fish are running. its the way it works just like jennie said we have no right to CONTROL whats not ours and only fools lay claim to the wild

·
Registered
2,368 Posts

I'd like to train those killer whales in South America that beach themselves and go after seals to migrate up here. That way we could stabilize the population naturally. Just my opinion.

[ 06-13-2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

·
Registered
4,841 Posts

Yup, put Keiko at Willamette Falls and let folks see nature in action. Now that would be balance.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

why wont they let the native americans harvest some :shrug: let the makah harvest some

·
Registered
685 Posts

Harvesting Sea lions wil have to happen at Bonneville this year. They are following the food source now. Oops two got nailed at the Rogue. What about the teenagers getting killed in accidents? What about the pregnant 14 year-olds? What about the deranged high schoolers? Oh yeah, save the seals! Don't forget the seagulls, snails, eels, owls, and frogs. They need our help too.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law .
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">-----D

[ 06-14-2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
3,505 Posts

And another one bites the dust...

[ 06-14-2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: fish_on ]

·
Registered
104 Posts

Isn't that an oxy-moron; they'd been dead for one week and were in excellant health? Shouldn't they at least be alive to be in good health? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

Officials say two adult male California sea lions were found shot to death May 17 in Gold Beach.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Word is now that may have been gang related. :shocked:

I'm sorry!! This isn't funny. Light hearted attempt at some humor from a cruel act.

·
Registered
638 Posts

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law .
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Just kidding, I dont think we should kill all the Sealions. But seems like thinning the herd may be something to consider.

[ 06-14-2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,377 Posts

Advocating and/or condoning illegal behavior is a no-no.

[ 06-14-2003, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
We may hate \'em, but c\'mon...

From kgw.com:

Associated Press

Officials say two adult male California sea lions were found shot to death May 17 in Gold Beach.

The National Marine Fisheries Service is offering a $2,500 reward for any information that could lead to a prosecution and conviction in the case.

The sea lions were discovered near the mouth of the Rogue River, and are said to have been dead one week before they were found.

Officials say the animals weighed between 600 to 800 pounds and were in excellent physical condition.

It is a violation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act to harass or feed marine mammals in the wild.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Sad, indeed.

--spud-- :smile:

G

·

Originally posted by Mad Mikey:
Yup, put Keiko at Willamette Falls and let folks see nature in action. Now that would be balance.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Now theres a plan :cheers:

·
Registered
3,998 Posts

<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

[ 06-14-2003, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
2,386 Posts

If you found a bear or cougar in your pasture killing your animals, would you kill it? Why?
How about coyote or dog killing your sheep, would you kill it? Why?
What if a seal or sealion were to get into a hatchery or a fish farm, would it be allowed to stay there and eat to it's hearts content?
Do you think a person would be prosecuted if they killed in any of these scenarios?
Any sportsman worth his/her salt would not tolerate a poacher whether it be fishing or hunting.
We pay millions of dollars into a fishery and we have no right to protect it?
IMHO once a seal or sealion has left salt water and entered fresh it should be eliminated, period. Unfortunately the law at this time does not allow me to kill these animals or I would be the first in line to buy a tag. Give me one positive reason a seal or sealion should be allowed in fresh water?
The same people who will think killing a seal or sealion for any reason is wrong will in turn hang bug zappers, spray insecticides on their gardens to kill bugs, have their homes fumigated to control ants/termites or many other destructive bugs and or insects.
Protect the seals/sealions because they are furry and have big eyes and kill the bugs because are just small and creepy?
Please let me know if there is ever a petition to allow fresh water harvesting of seals and sealions.
I will shed no tears for a fresh water killed seal or sealion.
Ron

1 - 20 of 61 Posts