IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to use WD-40 as a sent,
I was fishing out of the camas marina yesterday, sitting in the hog line and thier was one boat with two guys in it. They were hooking up every 40 min. I saw them catch 6 fish in about three hrs. They would always toss the buoy and go down river, then come back and say keeper. I could not tell if they were keeping every fish, but that was the impression. When they would set back up to start fishing they would look around, bend over and spray somthing on the spinners. At first they were hiding it pretty good, but as they caught more fish they became more obviuos. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
uboatcdr,

WD40 is legal but I'm kinda wondering about 2 guys keeping 6 fish? Is there some new tag I don't know about?

Brion

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I would not recommend using WD when the coast guard is nearby. It is illegal to put anything in hte water that leaves an oily sheen. Has nothing to do with fishing regs, it's polution related.

Just be careful out there. :smile:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Originally posted by Miss B Haven:
I would not recommend using WD when the coast guard is nearby. It is illegal to put anything in hte water that leaves an oily sheen. Has nothing to do with fishing regs, it's polution related.

Just be careful out there. :smile:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Heck, every fish-attractant scent that I've ever used puts an oily sheen on the water.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
TFG -

That's from your hands!!!

:shocked: :shocked: :grin: :grin: :grin: :shocked: :shocked:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
TFG, Ya but that doesn't mean it's legal. I'm pretty sure they are not to worried about fish scents when there's guys out there dumping ful and oil and bilge gunk into the river, but I would not be spraying down my bait's or gear while they (CG or anyone else) are doing a Safety check on me. Might be a little more than they wish to overlook.

:cheers:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Brion, I'm confused. WD-40 is a petroleum product. It's illegal to put petroleum in the river. Even in small amounts. Therefore, WD-40 shouldn't be used on lures even thought almost everyone has a can of it in their boat. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Its the intention... on a lure..NO, Spray that stuff in the water Yes... Its like the 2nd hand smoke thing... minors can't smoke legally but they can sure breath it leagally... BOTTOM LINE!
BTW, I use WD-40, but don't smoke :grin:

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Mel, you have just cause for being paranoid. The Coast Guard is ALWAYS on the lookout for you!

:grin:

I don't use the stuff myself. Not as a fish attractant. But sometimes the gear needs to be lubricated slightly.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Just think about how much oil a 2 stroke engine puts in the water. :depressed: If you want to eliminate petroleum in the water guess we'd better start with oil.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
When I first heard about using WD-40 in the 70's I tried it and caught fish...my personal belief is it doesn't hurt the bite, but doesn't help either

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
As far as having better success with the stuff, I don't know. I think it basically just masks human scent (if the fish knows what that is). I honestly haven't seen any better success using it or not using it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
legal to use in your boat or land just not legal to spray directly in the water, so spray away for a attractant. There's been alot of other oil products used and do work,(not saying WD-40 is an oil) but it sure burns that way. Had an officer tell me as long as I put it on my bait while it was in the boat there was nothing illegal.

Is there a Judge in the house?

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
With all the attractants out there why bother adding another man made chemical with whos knows what in it to the water? Lube yer lures with it when they need it, and take a fishing class to better your odds for the bite. Im sure theres plenty of fish gurus here who'v never used it and have no complaints with thier overall success.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts