IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
989 Posts
do halibut feed when wind is out of the south? --Mike-- waytogo--
I think halibut always feed, but how, and where they feed changes when the drift changes. I have always done better halibut fishing when the drift is North to south, because that is "normal", however, when the drift has switched South to North the food is drifting different than "normal" and it changes how and where the fish are.

It has more to do with the drift and less to do with the wind. You can have a North to South drift and still have South winds and visa versa....

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
Halibut don't care which way the wind is blowing, However they are most likely working the drift, as stated by Grady252, the problem with a South Wind is the current is usually out of the North...so it's tougher to keep your bait on the bottom, & or present your bait in a natural drift.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
South wind halibut fishing?

Hate it. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Yes I've caught fish, and done well, but it is never as easy as when the wind is out of the north. As noted already, the typical north current and south wind work against each other.

Light southerly isn't bad, but I can fish a much stronger North wind effectively than South. If the wind is blowing 10-15 or 20 from the South it can be a long day for me. Part of this is the way my boat catches wind and how I drift.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone, I'm still undecided about fishing Buts this fri. guess I will let my crew decide. Mike

·
Registered
356 Posts
Go for it, Mike! We'll be running tommorrow!! We'll be down at the boat tonight...... Hope to see you.

Richard

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
Go for it S. 5 to 10kts is minimal.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Big S Wind = lots of lost gear when halibut fishing deep.

5-10 is a nice day, regardless of direction, and it may switch on you to SW or W. Combine that with 2 fish limit, and go get em!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I hate the south wind. Makes keeping good drift tricky. Weekend before last we stopped for butts on the way back from tuna and landed about 20 in 1.5 hrs with nice grade. They are still there, still feed just harder to fish.

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts