IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waterfall Resort Chuck Baird from Waterfall Resort has emailed me that they have agreed to pull their donated trip from WT's fundraising auction! Please note, this was a BIG donation!

In addition, Scientific Anglers is looking into the issue and their options that I addressed in my email to them.

Wonder how many more businesses were unaware of WT's lawsuit against hatcheries?

Just goes to show, we can make a difference! I have requested that any company wishing to donate to save wild salmon contact Long Live the Kings.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm sory, but I din't have a clue about your last two posts. A SHORT course in the issues would be nice. WT(?), Lawsuite(?), and a couple other letter combinations explained would be nice.
Seems like you have somehing important to say, help me get up to speed. Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good on Waterfall Resort. I had the good fortune to stay and fish at Waterfall a few years ago (multiple days of limits on kings in the first half hour). I would heartily recommend this place to anyone.

·
Administrator
119,700 Posts
WOW! What a way to make change!

Good going! Isn't it a good feeling to see happen what you fight for?
Wait a minute... I have no clue. The hatcheries are still threatened. :whazzup:
I'm still fightin! :mad:

Congrats!
:dance:

Jen

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jennie the hatcheries are saved for now. In fact, those of us fighting WT want to see hatchery reform take place ASAP. We didn't want to see them closed when it wasn't based on scientific necessity.

The real problem is.... Washington Trout requests donations for their fundraising auction/dinner and because folks think they are a fishing organization, they donate!

We have found four examples of companys/groups that did not realize WT was an environmental group hell bent on closing all hatcheries.

I plan to contact more of WT's contributors and post a list so we can tell these companies what WT has been attempting to do.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
For Immediate Release: May 13, 2003
Agreement Expands Public Opportunity to Comment on State Hatchery Plans

Seattle – Washington Trout, the Native Fish Society, and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife have reached an agreement to settle lawsuits brought by the two environmental groups over WDFW’s Puget Sound salmon hatchery operations. The agreement creates a new, expanded public-involvement process that will enhancecitizen opportunity to help shape hatchery management practices in Washington.

Under the terms of the agreement, WDFW will make hatchery management plans available for public comment before the department submits those plans to federal fisheries managers for approval under the Endangered Species Act. The documents, known as Hatchery Genetic Management Plans, must beprepared by WDFW to meet federal ESA obligations. The HGMPs have been due since January 2001.

The department submitted HGMPs for its Puget Sound hatcheries in late 2002 and earlier this year, and is in the process of preparing others for submission to NOAA Fisheries, the federal agency charged with enforcing ESA rules for listed salmon and steelhead populations.

Typically, NOAA Fisheries would seek public review and comment on HGMPs during its own review and approval process. Under the terms of the settlement, WDFW will solicit public input on the hatchery plans prior to NOAA Fisheries’ review. This agreement will expand the public’s opportunity to become meaningfully involved in the state and federal managers’ decision-making processes.

In exchange, the Native Fish Society and Washington Trout have agreed to drop lawsuits against WDFW, which alleged that releases of hatchery-bred chinook, coho and steelhead were hampering wild chinook recovery efforts in Puget Sound. The agreement terms also included reimbursement of the plaintiffs’ legal expenses.

Washington Trout and Native Fish Society charged that WDFW’s Puget Sound hatchery operations were harming and killing wild chinook in a number of ways, through competition for food and habitat, displacement, predation, and harmful genetic interactions. During negotiations with WDFW, WT proposed the comment and response process as a way to make hatchery management more transparent, engage the public, and influence improvements in current hatchery practices.

“We still believe hatchery practices in Puget Sound are causing significant harm to listed species,” said Kurt Beardslee, WT Executive Director. “But we do now hope that the department will be open to improving their management practices, and we believe this agreement and new public process can move that effort forward.”

NOAA Fisheries requires HGMPs for any hatchery operation with the potential to impact a listed salmon or steelhead population. Washington state has 13 salmon and steelhead populations with federal ESA protection. Many HGMPs are still overdue the January 2001 deadline.

Under the agreement, WDFW will publish the text of the Puget Sound HGMPs in the State Register and on its website, solicit public comment for the following 30 days, issue substantive responses to the public comments, and submit the comments and responses to NOAA Fisheries. The responses and comments will be posted on WDFW’s website for public review.

The settlement also sets a schedule for the completion and submission of most of the HGMPs that are still outstanding. Of the roughly 85 outstanding salmon and steelhead HGMPs, half will be submitted within 18 months, and the remainder will be submitted to NOAA Fisheries within 30 months.

WDFW will also solicit public comment on these additional HGMPs as they are completed, and forward any comments to NOAA Fisheries with the department’s response

·
Registered
189 Posts
WT are the bad guys? What about their successful suit to stop a huge porato processing plant from poluting a central Washing river, and their up-front attaack on tangle nets on the columbia River?

G

·
Originally posted by ctflyfish:
WT are the bad guys? What about their successful suit to stop a huge porato processing plant from poluting a central Washing river, and their up-front attaack on tangle nets on the columbia River?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">They aren't the bad guys necessarily and they were not the only group to fight the gill netting in he Columbia. One does have to wonder what their agenda is and we pretty much know what that is. Do they want the closure of all hatcheries? If they do what do they propose to do about providing the fishing public with an opportunity to keep a fish?
My point is this. The northwest economy is heavily dependent on sports fishing and if people can't keep a fish they catch now and then for consumption then what happens to all the folks that livelyhood depends on sports fishing such as guides and fishing charters?
No doubt that past hatchery practices needed to be improved but complete hatchery closure certainly is not the answer.
I have yet to read someone from Washington Trout, Native Fish Society or Oregon Trout propose a solution that goes beyond hatchery closures

1 - 10 of 10 Posts