IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...Last weekend...we saw a rather unusual boat while taking out at Cathedral Park.

When we came in to the dock...I noticed a white day cruiser tied up to the dock. Didn't think much of it, but I did notice a couple of square, or rectangular copper looking tubes coming up right about where the front of the motor would be. Interesting, I thought.

A few seconds later, I saw a wave runner towing it out away from the dock. Then...the two guys that were in the daycruiser each put on a fighter pilot helmet(no lie), and dis-connected the tow line from the wave runner. Seeing this..I thought there may be some excitement, so I grabbed my camcorder. I couldn't wait for them to start it up...thought I might be able to get some "Real TV" footage.

Well...when they hit the switch...what did I hear??

How about a jet turbine winding up and whistling like jet taxi-ing for take-off!! This thing was turbine powered!!

Regardless..looks like a couple of engineers with too much time on their hands have a new toy.

Anybody know of these guys, and what they're up to??

Anyone else see these guys??

Mark

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I SAW THE SAME BOAT WHILE SPRINGER FISHING IN APRIL. I WAS AT SELLWOOD AND HEARD A STRANGE WHISTLING SOUND COMING FROM DOWN RIVER. ALL OF A SUDDEN SWOOSH THIS THING GOES FLYING BY. BLEW MY MIND !! SOUNDS LIKE A SPACESHIP.

THE FUEL CONSUMPTION BY MY SPORTSJET DOESN'T SEEM SO BAD NOW.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
:shocked: :shocked:

So did you get any video of that thing or did it dissappear from view too fast?

That sounds like a sweet ride.... :wink: Upper Clackamas, here I come..... :shocked: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
That sounds wild, I would like to have seen that! I would like to seem them pull anchor..... :shrug:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you guys didn't click Willierowers link...you need to. The boat I saw was basically he same concept as this one..only they didn't do the hi-speed pass..I think they may have had problems. THey wore the same helmets as these guys.

Check out that link...If you though bass boats were fast.. you haven't seen nuthin' yet.

Way cool...thanx for the link.

******....I got room enough in the Mission boat for one of them motors...now if only I can figure how to hook it up to a tiller handle...

Mark

[ 07-06-2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: FishinMission ]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Thanks for the link Willierower. Those are sweet!!
:shocked:

Mark. I figured you would be trying to figure out how to get the Outboard tiller version of that pump... :grin: :grin: I think it would look good on the Mission boat. :wink: :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Boy did my dad and I get a kick out of that. Thats how it should be done no weight and all power, Tim Allen would be proud.
Do you think it's to fast for trolling for the silvers?
I'm still grinning, thanks for the link willierower.

Later Geoff

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Okay Mark I tracked this one down for you. The boat belongs to a gentlman named Mark Gigglyarty (sp). He did the conversion himself. The boat will do 105 mph and the motor cost $60,000. It's a 40 footer and has two 150 gallon tanks. You can guess the gas milage. :shocked:

Moral of the story, a man and his money is soon parted. BTW, I understand the boat may be for sale.

There's your story.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Nye thermodynamics has done some cool stuff. Here's a video of squirt 1, his first turbine powered boat http://www.gas-turbines.com/images/allison/Squirt-1_short.mpg

I want one! I found the site a few years ago when doing a web search. He's done some very interesting stuff. 1,370 hp and 1,200 fp of torque. Now that's power! and all from a 350# power plant.

I wonder how well it pulls a skier? :grin: :wink:

·
Registered
550 Posts
There are lots of things you can do in a boat like that: Go fast, turn, go fast, turn, turn, go fast, go faster, turn, go fast, turn....you get the idea.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Hmmm... I thought this thread was about my wake! :grin: :shrug:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bernie...the boat I saw was I'd estimate between 20-22 feet long, white fiberglass with about a 2 inch black stripe on it.

I think the one everyone seems to be rtalking about was the 40 footer(or so) we saw last year while springer fishing. It blasted through Milwaukie at about 80 mph.

Mark

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
That would be the one Mark. (40 Ft'r). You saw a 20ft'r with that kind of stuff in it? :shocked: Yikes!!!!!! Be interesting to find out who owns that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts