IFish.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recent reports out there? Planning a trip in the next few weeks and heard that the mouth had been active...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
there busting snaggers :dance:

make sure your bait or lure is MOVEING !!!
Bob

·
Registered
327 Posts
Snagging what? Steelhead? Chinook? Coho?
Just curious since I didn't think anything would be running up this early... I know Uglygreen posted something about silvers moving in already? Have you seen this in person DH? BUST EM ALL!!! I've fished private water up above and have found leaded shark trebles even on that. Time to take some action.

·
Registered
327 Posts
FishaholicAZ,
We've always done well in September for the summer steelies (C&R) up river several miles. When you say there should be fish in, are you saying chinook, silvers...???

·
Registered
160 Posts
There should be fish in there... Not a lot but enough. I have caught Chinook as early as the 20th of August in years past.
I would try down by the pump house with spinners or eggs. If not there, try under the railroad bridge or up in the beaver pond...
Just watch out and stay away from the snagging crew. You should be fine...
Let us know how it goes.

Tight lines and Fish on...
Romeo

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DH, no snag in my bag. ChuckDog and I have fished the upper 'shoug dozens for times and everything has been fair-hooked. ChuckDog did mention that we have found some interesting rigs in the river (treble with 4-6 oz lead and a strand of green yarn?). Nice...

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
fished the Washougal for 20+ years the typical snagging rig is this. 4 foot leader with pencil lead and a single corky tied behind a large bait hook. To my mind anyone driftfishing without bait for chinooks on the Washougal is a snagger.

Anyone who seriously wants to chinook fish would be better off going elsewhere. Not trying to protect a zipper or anything like that just trying tosave people who may not know better a wasted trip.

20 years if intense fall fishing I saw ONE and a few jacks that were hooked fair.. The one i saw caught fair was NOT a Washougal Tule. it was a chrome bright 25 pounder from somewhere else.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
MM i'd make the same call of you! I have never ever ever in my course of living on the banks of the Washougal from 1971 till 2000 did i ever see a fish caught fair on a corky Not one. Thats fishing nearly every day every fall.
Not at Oaks park, not a cougar creek not at the big eddy and not at the Steel bridge. it's all snagging

·
Registered
462 Posts
All's I asked for was a clarification of your opinion......and you start off by calling me a snagger!

I thougt people on this board had more class than that!

Call me what you will, but I have never and will never snag a fish intentionally.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I've never fished the Washougal but I sure have caught a number of kings on corkie and yarn or spin-n-glo and yarn at other rivers including many in Alaska. They do hit 'em.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
MM, don't worry about it. It always amazes me that there are people that think a fish that will try and EAT a 7" peice of wiggling plastic (aka Kwikfish), won't eat a small tuft of yarn dipped in anise :wink:

I KNOW the are a BUNCH of slobs out there that snag, disguised as drift fishing. BUT Chinook DO bite yarn, flies,jigs......The snaggers are the same people driving the roads with a beer between their legs "Deer Hunting"!!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Trust me when I say that the fish on the washougal that are caught in the mouth are not biteing but are being flossed. I like Rob have lived on this river all my life and have rarly seen anything fair hooked. And b.t.w. rob is one of the most respected sportsmen in this community.So you are off base by saying he has no class.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Why is it that oregon rivers have a nice strain of salmon that bite and we are stuck with these none biteing tueleys

"happyness is a salmon that bites"

·
Registered
462 Posts
Rob

Can you explain this statement to me?

"To my mind anyone driftfishing without bait for chinooks on the Washougal is a snagger."

How so? Are you saying a chinook will not take a corky and yarn? If so...I call horse pucky! I have landed several chinook on this very setup, and the hook was buried in it's mouth.......

Not trying to start any problems, I just need an explanation to your "opinion," as I don't think it is a fair to call all baitless drift fishers "snaggers"!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts