IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well there is a school of maybe 2-300 Chinook under the oak park bridge and about 40 guys and gals lined up there. each one of them with a hunk of lead and a corkie. they are thrwing into the school and reeling in and jerkling with a few steps up the bank for extra hookset. I saw about 6-10 hooked in the 15 minutes I was there. every one of them hooked outside the mouth. I have to admit the fish were pretty bright( well some of them) Most of the guys were shirtless and thoes that had shirts were in wife beaters. All in all it looked like a pretty scummy atmosphere bith the people and the activity.

Anyway I thought I'd post this little bit of reality for any folks who might hear that the fishing is good on the Washougal.. Hope it steers you in the right direction. Away from the Washougal..

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Thanks for the info, that place turns into combat fishing. I hate to fish there. It get better up river by the bowling alley.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Rob i am not bashing, and i have cought my fare share of fish in the washougal (legally) drifting eggs when the water comes up and cools. But my question is this, what is the solution to the problem??? All i ever hear is that the snaggers are out in full force. Well do you have a solution to catching these lock jaw fish in this warm water? If you have one i would like to know it because i have fished the Washougal for 20 years and have yet to catch a fish legally before the rains come and the water cools. I have tried every thing to get these fish to bite and i do not think there is a way, untill the water cools.
With out a solution there will always be a problem.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big Tule

My solution is for people to quit snagging. How difficult these fish ar to catch is totally irrelevant snagging is wrong regardless how rarely they bite. My ultimate solutaion is that the river should be closed to angling from Aug 1- September 30. This cuts out very little legit fishing.. Quite frankly the real solution it to quit planting chinook in the Washougal. but I'd settle for a closure while they are in.

Again my purpose in posting this is to save legit anglers the dissapointment of going there and finding out for themselves.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I totally understand the reason for the posting, i am just trying to find a way to catch fish, in this warm water. Yeah i also understand the closure of the river but isn't the reason we have hatcheries is to produce fish to catch??? If i am wrong please enlighten me.

G

·
I've been there and it's human nature at it's worst! :mad: It's an ugly scene on the Washougal and Rob is right! Close the river altogether for those months.A few years ago there were even shots fired in the area Rob was talking about.
What was once a wonderful little steelhead and salmon stream is now a snaggers paradise. What's left of the wild summer steelhead are now getting harassed upstream andd law enforcement seems powerless to do anything about it.
Too bad :depressed: I have some wonderful memories of the Washougal. I caught my first steelhead on a fly there and spent many nice summer evenings casting flies.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Believe me i have seen it bad down there and i totaly agree with ROB, i have seen the scourge of the Camas/Washougal area out there. But my question was is there a way to catch these fish legally?
And if not why keep planting these fish in the river?
From what i have heard from the people that i know there will be a huge run in the river this year, and if the only way to catch these fish is by snagging and they shut it down, what will happen at the hatchery when they get there quota?

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
20+ years of living there I never caught one except a few jacks on eggs later in the year while coho fishing. In my opinion fishng for chinook in the Washougal is a complete waste of time.. wait for october and fish coho..
The hatchery exsist to provide fish for commercial ocean harvest..

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've lived in Washougal for the last 40 yrs and fished the river for almost that long it would be
stupid to close the river in the time mentioned.I hate snaggers as much as you do and don't go anywhere near the river other then the slew trolling warts(orange) but mainly I fish the columbia for UB's.If they would make the fine for snagging HIGH !! along with the loss of there fishing gear and car or truck and then ENFORCED IT !! maybe it would finally stop.I've caught salmon in the Washougal useing eggs early in the morning years ago and I'm sure they'll still bite now.Those fish are planted in the river to catch maybe they should just quit planting fish and that would solve the proplem or better yet plant Chinook instead of TULES
the chinook will bite where the tules just want to spawn.I called the fish and game several times last year and this year when they couldn't use bait and did ANYWAY never ONCE DID THEY DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.
Sure they go up to the steel bridge and hand out a few tickets just to make a show but they go right by cougar creek and Hathaway park and several other snagging spots with a turned head
and check this out ,I watched them ticket a couple guys last year at the bridge and after they got their tickets they went right back to snagging ?? the cops jusy walked off.So as long as there's this type action by the fish cops stays the same so will the snagging !!.But closeing down the river untill the runs over is the dumbest thing I've heard of lately thats doesn't make any sense at ALL,they just need to enforce the laws.
Bob

·
Registered
220 Posts
Rob;
We had the same proplem with snaggers at Tanner Creek this summer steelhead fishing.Later on the state police showed up to check licenses and told him about it and he said if you see it again to call them and they WOULD take care of it!
I'll bet Washington has the same policy!
So next time anybody sees a snagger call the police.I mean that is what we pay taxes for.RIGHT?

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fishkiller
I truly wish that was the case.. I have called to report violations more than i care to mention over the years and have never once had them follow up on it. One time i reported a guy who shot a deer out of season while standing on the Washougal river road. Gave the dispatcher the name vehicle description and even the address of the violater to my knowledge they never investigated it.
Dawhunt i'd be all for stiffer fines and penaltys but in a situation like on the Washougal any way we can get rid of these ******** is fine with me as i said in september there is very very little legit fishing anyway.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Washington needs to change the law on snagging and they are in the process of doing so as we speak.

I talked to Joe Hymer (WDFW Vancouver office) last week and even though Washington's defintion of snagging is better worded than Oregon's by stating the fish has to willfully take the bait, they also have a defintion of a fair hooked fish is one hooked in the mouth or the head. Don't know where my WDFW reg's are right at the moment so I don't know what it says word for word.

This according to Joe causes problems in the court room whether a fish was snagged or not. Maybe someone can post the definition of what a fair hooked fish is in Washington.

Washington has a very serious snagging problem. Unfortunately it sounds as if the Washougal is as bad as the Kalama. A 5 minute visit to Camp Kalama any day of the week will give you a fine example of unethical fishing.

I feel fishermen are going to have to get real involved with each other and government officials if you expect a difference as we are doing here presently on the Salmon River. I think it is going to make a difference here on the salmon River this year.

Don't just talk about it here on ifish or other places but get organized as a group of anti snagging and get together with WDFW, the Game Wardens (which might be WDFW in your state), Forestry and who ever can get involved with the problem.

Unfortunately the morals or ethic's have so much deteriorated over the years it is not going to be a walk in the park. But take the river back if you want it. It can be done!

Dan

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Given that I live about 5 mintues from the above mentioned location on the 'Shoug, I had to go down and see this for myself. I just started fishing locally this past winter for steelies and had heard rumors of the snag fest once the salmon show up. But I also know people that say the Wind River is a snag fest (which is partly true, but it is possible to ethically fish for biters.) So I thought, "surely it can't be that bad, somebody down there has to be doing it the right way."

So off I go to see the circus. I walk out on the bridge over looking the river. Looking down the water looks more like a old pond than a river. I can see the shimmer of a CD, an old shopping cart, and somebody's plastic paito chair all lying on the bottom. There is a smattering of leaves across the water which doesn't appear to be moving. The east bank is lined with 20+ anglers. All of them casting a 1oz piece of lead strait out into the "hole" which looks to be about 7' deep. You can see a large school of probably 50+ salmon (silvers and nooks) circling like covered wagons in the middle of the hole.

Looking down at the river below the bridge, a couple dozen carcases lay on the bottom and the bank. The 'anglers' cast out and reel back in until they get a bump and YANK! :shocked:
There were a few really bright silvers on the beach. As I was standing on the bridge, a guy walks up and asks if I have been fishing. I say no, and he proceeds to tell me how to do it.

"You see them circling round down there?" he asks. "What you do is cast out over the top of them and then just RIP 'em." :shocked: :mad:
I couldn't believe this guy was standing here professing his disregard for the fishing regulations and any kind of outdoor ethics.

I saw probably 5 fish on (all snagged) in the 15 minutes I was there. Only one was released.

It is sad to say, but I highly doubt any enforcement is dealing with this. (It's not like its difficult to see).

Part of me wants to believe that if I went down there with a bobber rod, I could coax one into taking some eggs, but I don't think I would even want to be around that area. :depressed:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I hope they keep planting the washshougal. Keeps the snaggers off of my river!!! Face the facts, always has been snaggers, and always will be... Even if the fines are raised and jail time issued, the snaggers will be set free because of overfull jails. Might as well send all snaggers to the washougal.

Matt

·
Registered
327 Posts
It seems as if we have enough people (and the same people to start our own Washougal board!). Too bad about all the negatives since I've never fished below the steel bridge (if you're all talking about the Mercantile Store...???). Confiscate equipment. They won't pay the fines. Most sound like they're on a limited budget anyway right? Might take them awhile to head down to Bi-Mart and get another Snoopy Combo... I fish above on private property and it's heaven. Rarely are we skunked; usually a couple summer steelies in every piece of broken water you find. Multiple hook ups are standard in this section and we always have caught and released. Never targeted the 'cruisers' (nooks) nor do I plan to (what do people do with Tules anyway?). I love silver fishing on the Sandy and would love to see that kind of action on the Washougal. I've been there when they are in in late September (mint bright) in small pods (5 - 7)but they won't take eggs or spinners. October I've managed a couple on spinners and eggs in a trip or two. Is October or November the time for the late run silvers up there (aside the snagfest below)?

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chuckdog Coho in the washougal depend on the water level. In years when there are lots of fish ( like this year i hope) the run lasts longer.. to make for good fishing we need some high water in September sustained through october so that mid october the river is running winter level that gets rid of the snaggers and makes for good spinner fishing ong the fwe pools wher the fish hold.
if the water stays low the snaggers will hold out and the fish will turn dark in the lower river then bolt for the hatchery at the first hint of rain.. just hipe for good conditions..

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Not condoning it, but since we are all good samaritans here if some one is speeding they should go to jail, have there license suspended and have there car towed. Still breaking the law... All i asked for was a solution to the problem and all anybody can come up with was throw them in jail and take there vehicles...
One more problem with this country, you telling me what i can and can't do on my time, with my money and my possesions.If people would just mind there own damn business life would be a whole lot easier.
Oh yeah ROB if it is a low water year and you free drift eggs around the fallen tree at high banks you will absolutly slaughter the silvers...

[ 08-30-2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Big TULE ]

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
big tule

it is very very very much my bussiness when guys are down there disrespecting the resiurce and it is very very very much my bussiness when someone is speeding!!! When someone is speeding they are being unsafe no matter what they think they are endangering my life!!! The people who detrmine safe speeds on our roads know more about what is safe than we do!! Driveing however you feel like driving is bad for everyone..
Snagging is wrong, illegal and very much my business. The people who do it are ********. No matter how upstanding they may be in the community now matter how they treet their kids or neighbors. They do not deserve to be on our rivers.

There are a number of potential solutions but without enforcment none of them will work. I am all for placing numerous cabels through the main snagging pools so that every cast results in lost gear.
Snagging is very much our business as it destroys our resource!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
So why can't we get the State to step up enforcement? I see them up at merwin checking the trout guys, and of all places Lake river Checking the that one and only catfisher man. I would think they would go to the areas that have the crowds. If we see them, why can't they. The state could pay the postion with just the fine monies.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
As I suggested on my post earlier you ought to ban together and do something about it.

Simply sitting here on ifish whining about it might come up with some ideas but isn't going to resolve the problem without taking action.

Here is the sign that ODFW Kevin Goodson and Bob Buckman came up with for the Salmon River and there is a lot more being done besides this and other signs.

I would suggest one or all of you Washougal fisherman call Joe Hymer at the Vancouver WDFW office Tuesday morning and ask what can be done.

Joe will set you up with the right people and might become involved himself.

The measures we have taken on the Salmon River this year will make a difference. How much I don't know but know there will be an improvement there.

If I fished the Washougal I would make the phone call myself Tuesday morning. I will however email Joe an electronic copy of this sign today and the URL for this thread and the Salmon River meetings threads and maybe our hard work here will help on ideas.

There is the new anti-snagging regulation on both the Washougal and Kalama this year to where your line or bait has to be moving that started on the Naeselle a couple years ago and they implemented it on the Elocoman and Grays last year. Evedentally it isn't helping on the Washougal so far.

I will be observing it on the Kalama this season and reporting back to ODFW whether it is helping or not. I am familliar with that river and it's problems and will know first hand whether it is working or not. I made some improvements on the lower river all by myself last year by self policing and then was helped out a bit once that some of the fishermen saw that I was stepping out and addressing the problem.

Again get involved. Today and don't wait till tomorrow. Everybody knows about the severe snagging problems up in SW Washington including WDFW! Help them out. Show them you are serious!

Dano

1 - 20 of 28 Posts