IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to hit the Washougal last night to get some fishing time in...and what a night it was. Although I was in hopes of catching a nice steelie or nookie...Bass works too! I fished near the mouth just north of the Railroad bridge and found myself getting a ton of bites but no fish-on. I was thinking to myself that the sucker fish were having fun with my jig...but then I finally had one on! After about 3 minutes I get the football to the bank and realize that I've caught a nice 2lb lm bass. I had noticed the guy across the river bringing in fish and releasing them...not knowing what he was catching. After releasing the bass (never cooked one before...so I wasn't to interested in keeping it) a few minutes later....bass on...and released...and then...another bass on....after catching and releasing the first 3...I thought about it...why don't I keep one of them...take it home and give it a try. An hour goes by and nothing...but then....hey...another bass...or so I thought. It was a nice native steelie..super bright and full of fight. Released and I was ready to head home....it was 8:30 at this point and the bugs were really getting thick. Just another half hour...yeah...a half hour couldn't hurt. Bam...fish on...and this one was a 3lbr..bass...and is now in the freezer...should be in my belly Saturday night. The wifey doesn't like eating fish...so it'll be all mine!! All of these fish were caught on a first cast red jig... Happy fishing everyone!!

Jeff

Oh~ How would you prepare this bass?? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Fisherfield - Deep fry or oven... Either way its good. I dont care much for large mouth but smallies are always on the menu. Some panko/batter and presto. Great tasting fish.

As for the health risks, I wouldn't worry about it to much. Those fish migrate in and out of there so you should be fine. I have eaten a few out of there and I still have all six toes. :wink:
Nothing weird yet...

Fish on
Romeo

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
hey Jeff, deep fry it with crumbs (panko-japanese) or beer batter. keep it to once a week and you will be safe.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Congrats on the great evening, Jeff!!!! Guess I should have joined you. Sounds like a great time.

Been a long time since I ate Bass, but I think I would pan fry it or deep fry it. A little grease / oil never hurt anyone... :wink: :grin:

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by fishing is life:
keep it to once a week and you will be safe.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">??? Good suggestion on how to cook it...but do you mean to cook it all and keep it around for a week?? I have 4 fillets, frozen individually so I don't have to eat it all at once.

Steve~ How was Jackson Browne....ooooo She's gonna be somebodys baby...make her shine tonight...oooooo We play that song her at work! Would have loved the company fishing...next week maybe. I had my one day this week fishing last night....and it was a fun one....

[ 07-22-2003, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Fisherfield ]

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Fisherfield, actually i was trying to kid you on eating just one serving a week. The fish are prob safe to eat continually but with the paper mill and slough i would be a little paranoid of eating the fish all the time. I wont eat any sturgeon or bass out of the Willamette. Dont want to scare you though. :cheers:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fishing is life~

You know...I thought of that too....wondering how long this Bass of mine has been living in that area...probably a couple years at the least. I don't know....maybe it shouldn't be eaten?? The meat looked good...kind of a yellow, green glow :grin:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Originally posted by Fisherfield:
The meat looked good...kind of a yellow, green glow :grin:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Must be one of those downstreamers from Hanford.... :shocked: :wink: :tongue:

Concert was pretty good. He didn't play nearly enough of the oldies (the ones I really wanted to hear), but still a good concert. That amphitheater is a very nice venue. Good acoustics and all. Even the traffic in and out was easy.

I would say, lets try for next week sometime. Not sure when yet though. :shrug:

Steve :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts