IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install a wash-down pump on my boat. My question is about the pick-up. Do most people install it on the transom near the bottom? I'm kind of nervous about any kind of hole to the outside that could let water in if it failed. I thought about making an arrangement to pump out of a bucket but this seems kind or "dorky". Well fellow i-fishers, what is your system like, can you give me some confidence in drilling through my aluminum?

Thanks,
Biederboat

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi biederboat
I just got done doing to same thing. I put in the back of my Intruder behind one of the panels. In put is there the botom to one side. Boy that take some courage to drill that hole.

Get one of those coil hoses from wal-mart and you will be able to wash any place one you boat.

Costalot

·
Registered
653 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I used to install fishfinders and washdown systems on boats all the time. It is not that big of a deal! just get some 5200 marine adhesive and seal 'er up when you are done. even if the pump is not running if you have tightened down all the connections there will be no leak. I have one installed on my boat right now and even if it does leak, I am assuming you have a bildge pump installed adn it will pump the extra water out and before next trip you can seal it up again. There is no way that even if the thing is not sealed tightly that it will leak that much water. Don't worry about just get in there and do it. I woun't wish you good luck because you don't need it, you have nothing to worry about just take your time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have gone one better in this catagory, as I did not want my boat sinking either. The way to do it is to drill a hole far above the water line and then plumb some PVC like you would use in a sprinkler system, thru the transom into a water strainer then into the washdown pump, to that fit your hose. Plumb the outside pipe down to the bottom of the transom. I will try try take a digital piture for you if you need more of an explanation.

Steve Ng

·
Registered
846 Posts
I had the same misgivings, so I just ran a 1/2" PVC pipe over the transom and down to the edge of the bottom of the boat,,,installed a small strainer and plumbed in my pump. It worked fine, except when the boat was on plane. Finally mustered up the courage and installed a thru hull fitting, and sealed it with 5200. Then I screwed a 3/4" ball valve onto the thru hull for a sea **** , and then plumbed in the pump. Turn the sea **** off when you need to do any repairs or if you develope a leak

·
Registered
836 Posts
biederboat, slugranch has it nailed. There are kits for the washdown pump, I just installed mine with a kit from west marine. Through the hull, the 5200 adhesive, a stopvalve, hose to pump, hose from pump, and then connect to your curley hose, and wash away.
Make sure your bilge pumps works, and even better has an automatic float.
be sure and use hose clamps at each hose connection from seavalve (stopvalve) to pump, from pump and normal garden hose connection for the curley hose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts