IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While sturgeon fishing in Astoria this weekend I encountered a couple of guy that I would say were in their mid-twenties. We were searching for a place to anchor as to not interfere with anyone. I picked out a likely spot in a line that was most likely 15+ yards away from the closest boat (they young guys).

Their heads started to shake and one of the young gentlemen proceeded to ask if I thought I was a little close to him. I said no that I thought we were okay. He proceeded to lecture me on how the fish run and fight in the lower river and that I should give him more room. I said friend it is a big river and there is more than enough room between us. Plus, we understand the fish may run a little or a lot and we can certainly reel up if neede.

Understand that there were lots of boats that were much closer if not on top of others. I did not see where I committed a sin against this guy. Fortunatly he was one to restrain his language which I have to say I appreciated (except for a phone call he made to a buddy which I overheard) and we went about our business.

The fishing pretty much stunk and as we left I gave a smile and a wave and recieve a warm finger in return. :tongue:

So, is there a defined amount of room you should give folks down there or was the dude just someone to avoid? Never want to step on toes but I believed we had plenty of room between us. Opinions or criticisms appreciated.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Nope, the distance was fine.

The problem, Bern, must have been that he recognized you!

:grin: :grin: :shocked: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
C&E...I don't think you did anything specifically wrong. I think its one of those situations that could have gone either way. Personally when I am down there, I try to stay as far away from other people as possible. If there is a specific spot that I am trying to get into, and there is another boat near by, I would usually ask if they mind if we anchor up. Not that they have to give me permission, but it at least shows them respect and that I realize if a fish goes nuts, they and us will have to work together. While we were down there Saturday, the closest boat to us was 40 yards away and they anchored up after we did. Most of the time the other boats were far enough away you couldn't see if they had a fish on without binoc's. :wink:

Sometimes though when its really crowded, it doesn't matter where you anchor, its gonna be tight.

It sounds like you made your best effort to leave adequate room and did not loose your temper when they began to get miffed.

I bet if you did that 10 times with different boats, you would probably get a 50% of the people reacting like these guys. The other 50% would probably appreciate that you made an effort to leave room and were polite. I wouldn't worry about it too much. :wink:

·
Registered
244 Posts
CAE, I'm glad you posted this question. I too want to make sure I don't anchor to close to another boat. What is considered too close? I know everyone has there own comfort zone but what is the average distance you, much wiser fisherman than I, usually allow between boats when anchoring in a line or next to another boat? :whazzup: :whazzup: :whazzup:

I do believe 15+ yards (45+ feet) is more than enough. He must have thought he owned the river. :shrug:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Originally posted by CATCH AND EAT:

The fishing pretty much stunk and as we left I gave a smile and a wave and recieve a warm finger in return. :tongue:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I don't get it, is there a problem? :whazzup: People are always waving and greeting me like this! I though it was the fishermans salute? :hoboy: :wink: :cheers:

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Bernie, it wasnt a matter of being too close, it was a matter of being upwind. :shocked:

15 yards, or 150 yards, the SS C&E Stinky puts out quite a stench. :tongue:

Are you sure the reason you only got a one finger wave is because he was using his other fingers to plug his nose.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I'm with Tacklebuster - I never anchor closer than 100 yards from someone in the estuary - even if it is a good friend. It is a BIG river down there and there's no reason to be fishing within casting distance from someone. 45 feet is pretty close when I've had several keeper sized sturgeon peel 150 yards of line off my reel. I think some guys think it's o.k. to anchor close to each other because they do it springer fishing. When sturgeon fishing, you're not trying to get in the "slot" but rather trying to find the fish. If I see a guy catching fish and I want to give it a try, I run 200 yards downriver or upriver from him and fish the same depth instead of crowding him. I also find it more enjoyable to be away from the crowd.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Originally posted by Stz ll:
Bernie, I wonder if it was the guide Jody Mather. That guy thinks he owns the whole river. He said the same thing to us about 2 years ago. The only problem was we at least 30 yards away from him.

This guy is a total jerk.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I can't speak to whether Jody is a jerk or not, I've never met the guy. BUT, I watched him pull a numbskull act last Fall Chinook season on the tip of the south jetty at Tillamook Bay. He was sideways into the swells and didn't even see the big swell coming that would have capsized most smaller boats. (His boat is huge) They were all scrambling to grab on to something as the boat pitched heavily sideways. :hoboy: :shocked: We were in the softer water behind the jetty and I saw that swell about to break and hollered at my fishing partner to turn around and watch Jody's boat about to go over. I'm glad it didn't, it sure gave us a scare. I bet his clients had to change their shorts after that. It only takes a moment, as we all know..... Careful out there.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I would say in most cases down there 15 yards is too close, the exception to this rule would be if you are in some of those congested areas where there are a lot of boats, and it sounds like you were in your post. So there should of been no hard feelings.

That being said, if someone came up on me and we were one of the only boats in the area and you anchored up 45 feet away I would be a little upset too. I would definately talk to you though and politely ask you to move a little further away.
At least you anchored next to him and not 15 yards below him... I have had some
do that down there! :shrug:

Dont get bent about the sign language I am sure he meant you were #1 :grin:

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate everyone's point and counter point. Interesting to know how we all feel about this area. I thought nothing of anchoring where I did due to the congestion that Shane mentioned. I did nothing different than anyone else there so I was a bit shocked by this fishermans anger. :whazzup:

Last thing I want to do is tick someone off so the lesson is learned I suppose. Fishing down there the last several years this is the first time I have encounted this problem. I'll know better next time. Doughball out. :grin:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Don't worry bud. You just can't please everyone. I say, no body owns the river and if it wasn't safe, I am sure you wouldn't maintain the distance you anchored at.

Naxt time just find an I-fish stickered boat and drop the hook by him. We are all friendleys.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Repect and courtesy. Did'nt mean or intend to crowd. Just trying to get along. I'll increase my distance. Especially if Chris and Shane are around. :cheers: Don't want to see lead heading my way. Chris is the estuary KING and I appreciate his input. You too Shane except I am not sure, maybe you can be the estuary Queen. :shocked: :grin: :wink: Just Josh'in ya. Peace

[ 06-16-2003, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: CATCH AND EAT ]

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Yea, I got the same thing from Jody last year too. I swear we were at least 60 yards from him at a 90 degree angle to the current. At least he asked in a good tone, so we moved. I would have told him to get bent otherwise...

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Me and Sublime had the same thing happen this year out of salem. I have personally fished this hole several times and it is always the same setup. One saturday morning we went into the lower spot and he started yelling at us that we were too close, etc. We just ignored him and went on fishing, then 20 minutes later his buddy comes up and hog lines next to him. When it comes to anchoring and the such just live by the golden rule and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Bernie, sorry to hear about the little one getting his head bashed. Perhaps it happened to the wrong person that day.

No way could Roy come up with that without some help. It took a little thinking and little can be broken down pretty small.

I have thought of going down thar but heard it was crowded so I stayed home. May start chasing the summer fish on the Wa. side of the CR. Love those takes and leaps of a summer fish.

Waiting to see where the silvers start showing as I just gotta get into them this year. Keep me posted on where they are and I may follow you around but will most definately not anchor next to you. Well, maybe upwind as Roy would say.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Bernie, I wonder if it was the guide Jody Mather. That guy thinks he owns the whole river. He said the same thing to us about 2 years ago. The only problem was we at least 30 yards away from him.

This guy is a total jerk.

[ 06-16-2003, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Stz ll ]

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I think Jody is a good guy and a heck of a guide. I can't begin to tell you how many times our boats have been fishing in the same area. The problem he has is too many people follow the guide boats and charter boats and crowd them out. A guy tends to get a little grumpy when boats anchor so close that lines start getting tangled and it starts to become a problem. He has paying customers on board and he works really hard to get them into fish. The last thing he needs is people chasing him all over the river. I have seen this first hand.

Unless I am anchoring next to a buddy, I do not anchor next to people when I can help it. Fish in the estuary do make side runs and I have lost more than one nice keeper because of someone anchored next to me that wouldn't reel in. You loose a couple of fish like that and it doesn't take too long to become a jerk.

45 feet is enough room not to cause harm and the finger thing was out of line. With that said I tend to get a little grumpy when someone I do not know pulls in close to me. I have had too many people bump into my boat, cross my anchor line, etc. and it does tend to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice shot Roy.
You think of that one all by yourself? :wink:

Mel, it might be because of the wake you leave with that tuna clipper. :grin:

Gary, I don't think he recognized me that day. No fish in the boat equals Catchless and Starving. Well, not really. My gut is still plenty big.

Pete, was'nt Jody although I did anchor at one point about 100 yards from him. He's never given me any trouble yet. In fact he was actually helpful to me last year. Can't judge him yet....

Conspiracy theory, I think if you read Lured In's thread responce you may find your answer. What is acceptable in the gorge is not in the estuary I guess. I think 15 to 20 yards is plenty but I believe I will look for larger accomodations next time and fish away from the crowds.

I was actually a nice day over there Saturday. Just started on a crappy note with the percieved crowded fisherman :rolleyes: and ended with my 3 year old falling in the boat and splitting his head open on my guide chair. :depressed: Just one of those things that happen I guess. Required two staples to the side of his head at the Astoria Hospital. He's a trooper that boy of mine. When we got home he plopped on his bike helmet and he was off to play with the other boys twice his size on his bike.

The folks at the hospital were great with him and he responded well to them. Lots of tear when the doc stapled the wound but happy 5 minutes latter and thanked the doctor and nurses that helped him. :cool: He is a great little guy to fish with and loves being out with his dad and grandpa.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts