IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just out on the back patio melting some lead with my acetylene torch and using a cig lighter instead of a striker to fire it off. Well, the flame blew out so I flicked the lighter without adjusting the gas and as soon as it fired off, it was blue candle. Against my right thumb. Thumb is now in ice waiting for the blister to show.

The thing is, I know better than to do something stupid like that.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I took metal shop in highschool in the 90's. Teacher taught us to light up with only acetylene on everytime. Then turn on oxygen to adjust flame.

Some guys liked to fill balloons with acetylene and throw them in the arc welding booths. Ah the good Ole days.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
When the blister pops, slather honey on it. Seriously. Best healing ointment ever
Then he can suck his thumb and not taste like burnt skin...........

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Ice. Ice and more ice. Then make a poultice with aloe vera and tape it on with a band-aid. Cussing also helps.
Ouch Don. We all had paid our dues at some point. Aloe is good for that. Cussing is evergreen...you can even cuss at Aloe if its not providing relief...and that damn acetylebe torch as well..which I'm sure has already heard the mantras. It won't help much but some fine english lightens the load

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I've come to the realization that oxy is too hot for just melting lead. Lowes has a Bernzomatic trigger fire propane head that should get the job done well - and I have a gift card! Guess that's my purchase for tomorrow.

The old woman gave me a pot to haul off to the dump the other day along with my other metal recycle stuff. Sure wish I'd kept it for a melting pot. I tossed most of my lead making stuff a few years ago when I finished making enough lead for three or four lifetimes. Oh well, I had this steel tube and decided to pour some heavy weights for hali and deep lings so I'm just melting cannon balls into the pipe.

Thumb feels a bit better, might even get some sleep tonight.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I took metal shop in highschool in the 90's. Teacher taught us to light up with only acetylene on everytime. Then turn on oxygen to adjust flame.

Some guys liked to fill balloons with acetylene and throw them in the arc welding booths. Ah the good Ole days.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
that sounds fun. We had these welding booths with tables having brick surfaces and a higher steel lip. The prank we would do is flood the table with acetylene gas and leave it for the next person. The minute you struck a flame the table would flash. Sometimes it worked most times it wouldn't but that made it a challenge.

·
Registered
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pictures, or it didn't happen.
Actually, Whetholer, the ice did the trick - AGAIN. It settled down enough that I got a decent sleep last night and it never blistered. Kind of strange since the blue flame point turned the side of my thumb into that brown crispy look of bacon fat cooked at too high of heat. Oh well, off to Lowes for that propane tip to see what propane will do.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Go buy a cheap pot and use a propane stove, you can thank me later. As an old welder, I could have told you that a O/A torch can BBQ you in a hurry. Worst thing is how long a good burn takes to heal, get better quick. I think the worst burn I ever did was welding a thin wall pipe rack together with O/A, as I switched sides I "rested" my arm on the part that I had just welded and it stuck. So you're not the only one...

·
Registered
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I dig out the torch I kind of expect to get dinged. Normally I don't fry my paw in flame but I have been known to finish turning metal orange and then grab it with my bare hand. That gives skin that burned bacon fat look too. I know, I know, gloves. And I have a welder's apron and gloves I use when fabricating something. It's just too cumbersome for 'delicate' work like melting lead into a tube.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Ouch. That’s gonna leave a mark.

I am NOT a welder, dammit (I get asked all the time if I do that in my shop) so I’ve skipped all that burning. In college I worked summers in fab shops and was often stuck grinding welds. Hated it. Have avoided it since. Maybe when I’m truly an old geez I’ll learn to melt metal together for fun and profit, haha. But my worst burn was I was melting the edge of some wide nylon webbing (tow strap) so it wouldn’t fray and it caught fire... cool, makes for a good melted edge... I was watching it, hypnotized the way fire does, and a burning blob dropped off and landed on the back of my finger. Couldn’t get it off until it cooled and hardened (a few seconds, seemed like an eternity) and by then it had dug deep. There’s still a big divot there.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I resemble that JeffO. I was patching a leaking rivet on my first boat a few decades ago (“a few” is more than “a couple”) using one of those epoxy sticks you heat with a torch and stick the molten epoxy to the metal, like a hot glue stick on steroids. I fascinatedly watched as a flaming glob of molten epoxy dripped onto the back of my hand before burning its way to the center of the earth like a meltdown in The China Syndrome. That took a while to heal and I still have the scar.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts