IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SAINT HELENS -- The National Skunk Service has issued a all points advisory for Saturday, July 12 for the Columbia River and Multnomah Channel 50 miles north and south of the Saint Helens and Sauvie Island area.

Patrick "I must smell like banannas" Johnson will be fishing the morning tides for a what local anglers call "summer hogs."

Johnson, also known as "bananna boy," has been out 43 times with no bites or strikes.

All anglers are encouraged to select other areas in the fishery, as Johnson's bad karma has led to blown head gaskets, screwed up outdrives and tangled anchor ropes.

Many are in awe that someone who has such bad luck would keep trying.

"I really feel sorry for his dad," said Oregon Fish and Wildlife ranger Silver Coho. "How could you possibily admit to having a son like this? Talk about a freak of a family."

Johnson said Friday that he was marinating his entire body in Lemon Joy, much like the Palmolive commericials in an attempt to wash off his skunk scent.

One Portland-based angler had a run in with Johnson last week and barely survived.

"This big white boat called 'Rarin' To Go' pulled up and suddenly this terrible scent filled the air," said Ralph Chinook. "My eyes started to water and I thought for sure I was going to pass out and die a watery death. My first guess was industrial waste dumping, then I saw Johnson and knew I had to get out of there. That is the closest call I have had on the river in my 55 years fishing."

Johnson denied the charges made by Chinook, but did say he was taking measures to deal with the "minor smell" that has lead to his fishing demise.

"Nothing seems to work," Johnson said. "I knew I should have taken up golf."

To contact Johnson, all you have to do is use your fish finder. If there are no fish, that is where you will find Johnson anchored this weekend.

This concludes the Oregon Skunk Advisory for Friday July 11.

[ 07-11-2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Chacal ]

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
:laugh: :laugh:

So what is the 'long term' forcast for the skunk advisory? Any chance it will be moving up river? :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Good luck out there tomorrow Chacal. Keep up the spirits and you will score. I am sure you will have a great day either way. Remember everybody gets skunked, some less but no one is immune. Keep observing and taking notes and look for patterns forming. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
We need to coordinate better. I too am going to be out there. We are really going to stink it up! :sick:

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Start to eat a sandwitch, open your tacklebox and leave it in the middle of the rear of the boat,put the net where you cant get to it, pour a cup of coffee and take a leak at the same time with your back to the rods,,, it will work everytime!!!!

Good luck man,,, we are all pulling fo ya!!!!

K9

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I do not know if it was Chacal or not but spent the AM tide at St. Helens and only had one hit, a shaker sturgeon. And I saw no boats loose from their anchors accross the river either. It looked like most of the sturgeon fleet had the sam luck I did as most of them left far b4 I did. HMMMMM. wonder if someonehid a nanner in me boat! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Well, wife and I hit the water at St Johns at 6am and motored out to Frenchman's Bar area. Decided to fish a little further down so set anchor across from marker 30 in 26 feet of water. Started with Alvins and spinners, and no takers, so switched to Kwik Fish w/sardine wrap. Wham! After 3 tail-walks and a half dozen runs, we got to look at a nice chrome fatty Summer Chinook, but alas, it had too many fins. Was in the 25 pound range. Had one more take on another Kwik Fish, but it did not stick. It was a beautiful morning out there, and the closest other fishing boat was a good 100 yards away. Don't know where everybody was, but maybe Chacal's notice scared them all away. Did not see any other fish hooked by the few other boats we could see.

In case your wondering, both Kwik Fish had a chartruse tip, one was a 14, the other a 13. Five foot leader with a five foot dropper.

After the wind came up, we motored up around T-6 and hooked about a dozen shaker Sturgeon for some added entertainment. All in all, a fun day. Gotta love it. Oh yeh, I have not yet sprung for a digi-cam, so sorry, no pics.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
fortywinks,

Sounds like you and Mom had a great day!!!!! :grin: One of these days I need to quit playing in the ocean and get out in my boat. :rolleyes: I'll save ya a jar of TUNA!. :grin:

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
TOO FUNNY!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well Chacal, whats the story. Is it still smelling like skunk?? :shrug: :shrug:

Enquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check out the YOU BE THE JUDGE thread.

The short of it is that I caught a 40" sturgeon only after my dad baited the hook and I didn't touch it.

Yes, we threw it back, but does that mean the skunk is off? I did reel it in.

Going out this weekend on my own with some friends from work to see if I can beat this thing. It could just be the concentration of the Johnson family gene pool on one boat causing my problems.

At this point I am ready to try anything once.

Chacal :smile:

Hey, being on the river is reward enough, but a fish sure would be nice.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
It could just be the concentration of the Johnson family gene pool on one boat causing my problems.

What the??? Johnson is a fish catching last name!!!!! :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts