IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...plus 20 lb Chinook, 4 Coho, 5 Ling Cod, 30 Black Sea Bass...

:dance:

I'll let Wildhawg and Bank Maggot fill in the details about the tangles, broken reels, and 17 lb test line...

UG

[ 07-26-2003, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Uglygreen ]

·
Registered
395 Posts
Good going UG.
If that doesn't make a guy invious, I don't know what else would.
My hats off to you guys, that is very impressive. Especially that hog that your calling a chinook. That is a beaut. :cheers:

Later Geoff

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Wow! That oughta keep somebody eating fish for a while!

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A really HUGE thanks to Depoe Bay Dan for the help cutting the fish! THANKS DAN!

And (of course) the Depoe bottomfish lessons.... :wink:

UG

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Great pictures....nice fish. I am jealous! :mad: I am going to have to wait until the big boys come into the bays, cause my boat isn't big enough. Nice job...looks like a really fun day. Fishrite :shrug:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
That top picture reminds me of a scene from "One Flew Over The Coo Coo's nest! :grin:

Fact that guy on the right kinda reminds me of Dr... Oh never mind! :grin:

You catch on fast Brad.

Can't say that I recall seeing a better catch for three people before! :wink:

And I thought we did good today!

Snapshot & Lucky Luke - Coho, Bass & Lings

That's what we all get for taking it easy and sleeping in, eh? :wink:

Dano

Day 14!

[ 07-26-2003, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
That movie should be Porky's IV. OINK OINK. Nice pig. Doc

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That hurts Ray--but in a good way :tongue:
To make a short story longer--I brought my trusty old reeder S-glass dual purpose fishing weapon, and neglected to bring a backup rod. My worm gear failed me, so I was forced to pick up a kenai special with 17# STREN!!
The boys were all hung up on fishing hardware off their diver and downrigger, so I just rigged up a little 6 ounce trolling sinker with an 8' leader and a whole 6" herring with a SWEEEEEEET little roll and proceeded to take the boys to school.
Cuaght Mr. Big at 20 pulls (around 35-40 feet). He fought like a champion, ripping off over 100 yards of line before we could get the boat turned around to follow him. When we did, he sounded, and I do mean sounded, as it took me a long time to get him back up. Acted like a freaking halibut! Got him up close when he ran under the boat and became caught in the downrigger wire that BankMaggot had neglected to bring in! 17# test sawing on wire... :shocked: not good! Managed to get him losse, when after 5 more minutes we had him on top surfing at the boat.
Everythings going great when we realize we shoulda brought a bigger net! He stretched across the whole thing! His head was wrong so we retracted the net and he sounded again. Another 5 minutes (which seemed like an hour), and we got him in the boat :dance: Thanks Ug and BM!!
Oh yeah. We were rigging for bottomfish when I dipped my line in the water to straighten my twistertail and fly's when I was swarmed by a marauding pack of coho!! Could have limited right then if we hadn't already, as the fish finder showed a black cloud below us!
Moved on to bottomfish, where Ug and I schooled BankMaggot in the proper techniques for catching fat lings and seabass.
I feel guilty for being such a selfish guest :rolleyes:
All in all, a pretty fair day on the salt.
The company could've been better though...

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
WOW :shocked: :shocked:

Good Day? Those lings are going to taste good too.... :cheers:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts

You guys gotta watch that WildHawg. He's a fiesty one...especially with that tag line he has. You REALLY think he pulled that hog in on 17lb test line? My guess is he was using a 300lb tuna cord, and 200lb mono leader. :shocked: :laugh:

Very nice catch guys. Very nice! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
What a football!!! :shocked: WOW! Very nice fish... :bowdown:

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The company could've been better though...
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Ohhhhhhh, that hurts! :shocked:

Charlie is just mad cause I didn't buy his theory that a fish that big looses 5 lbs or more of blood and it would have gone 50 lbs when we caught it... :hoboy:

And poor poor bank maggot... its not my fault he farmed another big (30+) chinook right next to the boat! :blush: Or that he couldnt get his second lingcod. :blush: Or that he didnt get a keeper coho. :blush: Or that he caught the smallest ling. :blush:

:laugh:

UG

UG

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Now come on boys. I've heard of the fish growing on the way home, but...

Maybe that pic will make it look 45 lbs.

It was a nice chinook even if the weight had been exagerated a bit. :wink:

My 100 pound scale has been compared to a digital scale and including my almost certified scale in the shop. :wink:

Great day!

Dano

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
What did that rusty old scale say? 42-43? Well...it's my story, and I'll tell it anyway I want to :grin:
Besides, the Captain of the Kadaho said it'd go 45-50, so it HAD to be your scale, right? Better get it checked again Dan, must've dropped it. "Almost certified scale", yeah right

As for you Brad, I'm sure it lost at least 5 pounds of blood, maybe 10!!! It was a bloodbath I tell ya. Made tuna look like they were dehydrated!!! :hoboy:
One of my top 5 best days, made even better by the company (despite Brad's failed attempts at acting grumpy), and Dan's welcome face at the end of a long day with fillet knives in hand. You are one heck of a guy buddy--thank you.
Can't wait to put the tackle to the test!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts