IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone would share some advice on the St Helens area for Steelies and Chinook. I am still new to this area and would love to see my son hook a few and for that matter I am overdue. I really do not want to go to Bouy 10 to put Salmon on board but will if all else fails. Thanks for any assistance you may give.
Slayer

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Well I'm no expert, but I can give my $.02 on Chinook. The St.Helens area gets VERY crowded when the Chinook are in. So, just look for all the other boats and join one of the hog lines. Then watch very carefully where most of the fish are being caught(inside, outside, etc). You can move to that depth or just remember that for the next time you are out. Wobblers are the prefered fall Chinook lure. I live Alvins and Simons, but there are many choices. Everybody has their favorite color and I've caught fish on many different combinations. Just put out a variety and see what works. Blues, greens, and copper half and half have probably worked best for me. The rule of five and five is a good place to start. Thats five foot dropper and five foot leader. You will have to change your weight to match the current at any specific time. Be prepared to put up lots of lead on the line if the current is really strong. Good luck!:smash:

· Registered
2,938 Posts
Last week of August, first week of September, find the hog lines in 40-50 foot water on an outgoing tide. Anchor up, wobblers on a 5X5 sliding rig.

Be ready for big fish!!!

Watch out for the Tule's. :berry:

· Registered
548 Posts
Well I'm no expert, but I can give my $.02 on Chinook. The St.Helens area gets VERY crowded when the Chinook are in. So, just look for all the other boats and join one of the hog lines. Then watch very carefully where most of the fish are being caught(inside, outside, etc). You can move to that depth or just remember that for the next time you are out. Wobblers are the prefered fall Chinook lure. I live Alvins and Simons, but there are many choices. Everybody has their favorite color and I've caught fish on many different combinations. Just put out a variety and see what works. Blues, greens, and copper half and half have probably worked best for me. The rule of five and five is a good place to start. Thats five foot dropper and five foot leader. You will have to change your weight to match the current at any specific time. Be prepared to put up lots of lead on the line if the current is really strong. Good luck!:smash:
:yeahthat::agree: Try longer dropper lines also,I have had many on 7 plus foot dropper lines in about 50 feet of water.Good Luck ....we all need some!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.