IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We couldn't make the party but we sure had a good time today. We landed 5 walleyes over 24 inches, with my boy Jake, getting his biggest ever! 30 inches, 11.5 pounds! I also saw my boat's daddy!

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Wow nice fish

Do you eat them from the CR? I heard they taste real good :cheers:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Way to go Steve and Jake - dems nice eyes.

Hoping to get over that way in a weekend or two to give them and the smallies a shot below the dam.

What was the secret to your success - plugs, bottombouncers/spinner/worm, jigs? Last year I had most of my luck on dragging the "Grape Ape" Hot Shot at about 3 per hour.

Dean

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am kind of partial to the old Storm Thundersticks. The Prism series was and is still a winner. My boy kept complaining how tired his arms were getting. For those people that say walleyes don't put up a fight, you just need to catch bigger walleyes! Power trolling with the green prism Deep Thunderstick got the biggest one. Jake had counted out 30 pulls on the way to 75 pulls when that fish hit. The other big ones were caught on 3 oz. bottom walkers with blue and white rapalas and black and silver rapalas. We kept catching ********* on the night crawler harnesses.
Born to Fish, Wannapum Dam is the dam right above Priest Rapids Dam. Do you fish the buckshot area for smallies? :cheers:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
FNF, try some trolled herring also. My dad got a 16.27# bug eye last year while trolling for kings in the upper columbia. It hit the herring rig, with a flasher, while on the 'rigger! He just got it back from the "stuffer", and the taxi said it was full of herring!!!! I've also caught them on herring and spin-n-glos on the 'rigger for summer kings below Rocky Reach Dam, but only to about 4 pounds!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Nice fish Steve...how did you catch it? Pulling plugs? Or a harness? Have you vertical jigged much? I imagine it is hard unless you can find them out of the current. Way to go....Terry

·
Registered
784 Posts
Steve,....Storm Thundersticks, huh. Got a couple in my tackle box.

I only got out one weekend last September and that was below McNary Dam - fished just above the bridge on the WA side, but mostly downstream on the OR side pretty much from the mouth of the Umatilla River on down a ways. Mostly working 17-27 FOW.

As to my earlier statement about getting out that way in a week or two, that might not happen. They're having a big 3-day "boat flee market" here in Boise this weekend and I'm going to see if I can sell my bass boat so that I'm a little better prepared to make a move on buying a deep-V hull fish-killer more appropriate to slamming salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon. :dance:

Geez, this past year on ifish, and spending quality on-water time with Mojo and Denali {and a short time with Depoe Bay Dan] has really been an education and eye opener for me. :cheers: Keep those reports coming in, as much as it's killing me while I sit here in the Boise.

Dean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts