IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just returned from a few non fishing days at Wallowa Lake that focused on BSing with old friends and drinking beer. Did check out the kokanee spawning run, however. Was surprised at the size range of the spawners-- 9" to 20" About 1 in 30 were in the 17 to 20" range. Most were 10 to 14". I have been to Wallowa several times during the spawning season and this is the first time seeing anything over 14". Does anyone know if this says anything about next years kokanee size?

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I was at Wallowa lake for 4th of July weekend the size of the heads and filleted backbones left in the fish cleaning station was impressive. I was thinking that your 1 in 30 being 17 to 20 inches is because people were catching them during the summer. Otherwise there should be more.
I spoke to a local who said that May was the best time to be up there. So I plan to get some reservations made for mid may.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Didn’t somebody catch an 8 pounder a few years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In 2009 and 2010 the world record for kokanee was broken again and again at Wallowa Lake. In 2010 a 9 lb, 10oz kokanee was caught and it is still the world record. After 2010 the dynamics of kokanee and mysis shrimp in Wallowa Lake changed, and the two years of monster kokanee have not been equaled. I fished there in 2010, a week before the current world record was caught. We caught many over 3 lbs and a couple over four pounds.

Here is a link with photo of the world record Wallowa Lake kokanee:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Waterfish: Were you at Wallowa mid-June of this year? The reason I ask is I saw a boat on the lake that looked like the boat in your avatar.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Waterfish: Were you at Wallowa mid-June of this year? The reason I ask is I saw a boat on the lake that looked like the boat in your avatar.
No, not this year. Scroll down to the "North Fork Reservoir fishing report" thread to see some better photos of my boat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts