IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in learning how and where and when to go for walleye just for the table. Anyone know of a good guide for the first trip. I understand that they are as close as the 205 bridge. Help is needed.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Put in at Camas, head upriver, and look for guys trolling on the washington side near the town of Washougal. There's a huge flat up there, and should be some fish. This time of year, troll a spinner and worm in 12 to 20 feet of water. I use a rig that has a 12 to 18 inch dropper, a 36 inch leader, a size 1 long shank hook, 4 to six beads (chartreuse or red) and a spinner blade of some sort. Hammered brass works, hammered silver works. Blade should be fairly small, say 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Thread the worm onto the hook so that it hangs straight back.

When you find fish, mark where they are and fish the spot again, but don't run over them with the big motor. When you catch fish, be sneaky about bringing them into your boat, or some yahoo in a bass blaster will come roaring up and start fishing the spot, spooking the fish in the process. Unlike salmon and steelhead, walleye are very mobile, and move in schools. Places that held fish yesterday can be barren today, and then the fish may be back tomorrow.

There's great walleye fishing all the way from St Helens, or maybe even lower in the river, all the way to Spokane. Most of the large spots are well known, and you can find them by looking for guys fishing for them. The Camas spot will show you what to look for.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
One more thing: as you run up river, stay out in the marked channel, until you learn this area of the river. There is a reef downstream from the dock at Washougal that this time of year may be inches below the surface. It's taken more than a few props over the years. You'll see the turbulence. Big 'Eyes hang around that reef, but it's tough to fish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you can also join the lower columbia fishing club.they have great information and a great group of people that would help you out and take you out walley fishing

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
How dare you guys discrace this board by talking about something other than salmon and steelhead?!?

For shame...

:wink:

·
Registered
550 Posts
For a good place to learn try strait out from rooster rock.run up river and work your way down.12'-30' go just fast enough to keep your rig strait.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thank you all for such an imformative post. You would think you were posting on the Salty Dog's board. A very pleasant change.
Jean

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
OK, now I feel bad for my smart-aleck response.

I don't know the name of the guides off the top of my head, but if you are thinking about it next Febuary (before the hot March Walleye bite), be sure and go to the Sportsman's show. Some of the best local guides set up for that show and even give 'how to' clinics. You will recognize their displays by the huge mounted 'eyes' at their booths. If I run across a card I will let you know.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
They fish for walleye all along the outside of Reed Isl. just east of Washougal and clear down to the lumber yard.They do most of there fishing
from the tip of Reed down to the fishing dock in washougal,if you fish the reef pay VERY close attention to your depth finder,they also do a lot of walleye fishing down the outside of lady Isl. and the inside of Ackerman as well as the outside
I'm not sure if thats the right name its the Isl. just below Lady Isl. and in front of govermet Isl.
I watched the last tournamet for walleye and they caught a lot of fish off the reef and between Goverment Isl and Ackerman also inside of
Ackerman below the Camas slew. Hope this helps.
Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey folks thanks loads for the info.
And for the salmon purists------it was dead at the airport tonite. Only two nets out and we had a fish magnet next to us a#33 last nite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts