IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pard and I were fishing in Hagg this weekend. He caught what looked like a small bass, (body shape) but, had red colored pectoral fins and teeth. Can anybody I.D. that critter for me? Thanx,Fishft.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I assume it wasn't a Yellow Perch.....or was it :grin: !!

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not know, never caught one before, have always led a sheltered rainbow, steelhead and chinook life. Thanx , Fishft.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The teeth part of the descripting sounds like a dead giveaway for a Walleye. Did you take a photo of that critter?

Z's-

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I would have to agree with Wreckless.... Yellow Perch. Look at the picture in the Oregon Regs. Looks a lot like a smallmouth.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx all! The Yellow Perch sounds about right. I looked at the pic`s in the Ore. regs like Steelie Steve suggested, Bout the same, but not quite as yellow colored, and couldn`t tell about the teeth. It wasn`t very big, bout 6" max. Didn`t take a camera unfortunately. Saw a couple largies caught that day and nailed a couple small smallies. Pretty boring day, but better by far than sittin` home watching the Buick open! Thanx again, Fishft.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey "PdxKevin" Good pic`s! I`m sure it was a Yellow Perch now. Not that big though. The bars on the sides weren`t that prominent but the pic looks about right. The general coloration was more like a smallmouth bass, just like the little one I caught later, except the fins. Wished I`d had a camera though, my pard was clowning around for his son and stuck the darn thing in his mouth head first with about half of it sticking out and flopping around. Hilarious!! He`s lucky it didn`t go on down! Might have had to call 911, what with all the spines and teeth. You had to been there. Thanks alot! Fishft.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Which did it look more like:

Yellow Perch or Walleye

The walleye are pretty easy to spot if you look at the size of the eyes. Overly large compared to most other warmwater fish. Another is the teeth ~ a perch does have visible teeth but not like that of a walleye. Walleye have teeth that will tear up your fingers if you tried to pick it up by the mouth. I believe that the mouth extends back to under or behind the eyes on a walleye and not on a perch.

The yellow perch usually have a pretty defined striping pattern.

I believe that it was a perch, though I would absolutely love to hear about some lake walleye here on the west coast.

[ 08-04-2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: pdxkevin ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts