IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ifishers..Only spot I could find to camp this weekend was WaldPort, I never been that far south with the boat can anyone give some pointers where to fish & do some crabbing...I'd like to do some salmon, or ling fishing, Can you go into the Ocean from Waldport or Have go up to Newport? Come on guys be easy on the criticism..I'd be new to the area... Any info I can get it sure would be appreciated.. as this is the only fishing trip for the year Ive been able to go on........Also any good place to buy good/fresh tuna would be a plus also.
Thanks again Dave Julien/6point
Eagle Creek

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dave,

Welcome to the area! I live right in between Walport and Newport. If you camp at Waldport, you can put in and fish the bay. However, you can not cross the bar there. Way too shallow and dangerous. To get into the ocean, you will have to make the trip to South Beach (Newport). However, crabbing is supposed to be pretty good in Alea bay right now.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Hey Ifishers..Only spot I could find to camp this weekend was WaldPort, I never been that far south with the boat can anyone give some pointers where to fish & do some crabbing...I'd like to do some salmon, or ling fishing, Can you go into the Ocean from Waldport or Have go up to Newport? Come on guys be easy on the criticism..I'd be new to the area... Any info I can get it sure would be appreciated.. as this is the only fishing trip for the year Ive been able to go on........Also any good place to buy good/fresh tuna would be a plus also.
Thanks again Dave Julien/6point
Eagle Creek
Crabbing is usually good in the lower bay (below the bridge) and I've seen people catch chinooks trolling on the incoming tide near the jaws, although my recollection is that was the first week of September - might be a bit early. I've seen a boat or two cross that bar, but they were nuts. It normally has breakers all the way across it when I've been there.

There are good docks to crab from above the bridge at the boat launch. Used to scoot over there 15 years ago in college at OSU and crab from the docks when I couldn't find enough buddies to go in on a boat rental. They are sorted through pretty good, but you can get some keepers there.

Have fun.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys..looks like the ocean might be out due to forcast:frown:, really wanted to pick up some fresh salmon.....I have pleanty of crab bait tho..... how is fishing inside any good for sea bass or lings next to the jetty? also would like to pick up some fresh tuna wheres the best place or look for boats comeing in @ the docks? thanks

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Keep an eye on the weather. Forecast is looking better for Sat. Coho bite has been good N out of Depoe and off the Lighthouse in 230' of water
44 41
124 11
would be the general area. Good luck.
Rockfish bite has been good also, 50-70 feet, South of Newport. 2 miles S of the South jetty is a good place to start looking.

·
Registered
690 Posts
As far as the tuna goes, South beach Marina just below the rogue brewery, you can usually find the White Swan II when he is in. Don't know him personally but I hear he takes good care of his tuna.

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts