IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been crabbing for several yeaars at Waldport. However, I have never fished there. Does anybody have any suggestions for Perch or any other kind of fishing in the Waldport area. Will have access to boat but will not go outside the jaws. Jetties and beach (surf) are OK too. We're planing a family trip and will have some young kids, too. Will go in August.

·
Registered
311 Posts
In August, salmon will start nosing into the river. I've caught salmon at the jaws and upriver as early as August 10th or so. You might try spinning a beheaded herring at the jaws during the flood tide. A fish or two could be hanging around.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Smoker...I wish you luck, dont have much advice to offer for a successful trip, but I wanted to chime in here and say... talk to the locals and/or the coast guard about the beaches and surf...Ive heard lots of horror stories and witnessed a few close calls too....stay safe.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You can catch Perch in a lot of places. I like to fish on the north shore of the bay. There are three places that I fish at. One is just east of the bridge about 300 yards on the north shore. Two is just a little ways west of the bridge also on the north shore there is an old boat ramp. Fish the eddy side of the ramp, Fish in the boils. Three is I park my boat on the sand spit (keep an eye on your boat) by the jaws walk out to the narrow spot and fish there. I like to use sand shrimp some like to use little crabs they collect during low tide. If you have a shrimp gun you can get your own shrimp on the south sand spit. It’s by where you launch your boat. (going over the bridge turn left at the light just south of the bridge. Go down that road until you see the hardware store, turn left between the grocery store the hardware store. That road will run into the launch area. Good luck let me know now you do. Benman

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another good spot for young kids is at Eckman Lake, which is on Highway 34 right at the eastern edge of town. Its stocked with trout pretty regularly. You can fish off the dock, or from the bank alongside the highway. Most folks there use power bait. Good luck

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll be renting a place just above the jaws on the south side. I.ve pumped shrimp there before to catch sculpins(gulp! I hate to admit it, but it was fun and fast action for the little kids). I have seen people troll in the jaws but I know I will be there early.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts