IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below are two emails I received that we need to act on ASAP!

Marsha

The attached email is the complete letter from Ron Garner , VP of my chapter of PSA. Gary Hulsey is the president of PSA in Port Townsend. Tonight is the first meeting in PT to discuss the game plan to attack the commission meeting in Dec with petitions and people. The commission is still ignoring the best interests of the state and the will of the people in making their decisions. I was in attendance at the meeting in Mount Vernon last spring when the commission told the crowd of over 100 sports fishers that economic benefits to the state had nothing to do with their allocations of shellfish. So they listened to all of us and then ignored all of us and their own biologists and handed down an even bigger share to the handful of commercial shrimpers than they had indicated in the beginning. The only conclusion a reasonable person can come to is that the WDFW commission is corrupt and has sold out to commercial fishing interests and big business interests. The state of Washington has even published its own study proving that the overwhelming financial return to the state comes from sports fishing.

Please feel free to post this on other boards and encourage people to sign the petitions. We need to figure out how to get the petitions widely distributed. I think we can do that with a few supporters like your self. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Steve Sande
President PSA SnoKing

Hello Everyone!

Hello Everyone!
Well, our crab seasons are going to get cut down even farther! They are going to close our 8-2 area next year from 83 days to 40 days. Do you believe we are taking more and more crab? I don't. The commercials are getting the majority of it. the entire Puget Sound is closed now including Hood Canal. WDFW says we have reached our quota. The only area left open is 10. Here is a letter to go with it. The East Jefferson (Port Townsend) Puget Sound Anglers is stepping forward along with JD Wade to try and work on us getting our share. Please plan on attending. Remember when you could drop the crab pots on your way out fishing and no matter how bad or good of fishing, you always could count on crab? This is fastly becoming a thing of the past. The WDFW Commission does not care about recreationals at all. They protect the failing commercials with Will Roehl ex-commercial fisherman leading the commission. He has protected them in the WDFW meetings, saying the legislature says they are to provide a viable commercial and recreational fishery. But why the special treatment for them?
Here is the letter from Gary Hulsey:
J.D. Wade and I have come up with a plan of action to address the loss of crab season in Puget Sound. We have run it by Clint and he approves. Clint and J.D. are planning to be in Port Townsend Tuesday evening at our meeting where we will begin the implementation of the plan.
This plan will require the help of the entire PSA organization and may well facilitate the major crab policy changes that will be required to save recreational crabbing in Puget Sound.
What we are going to do is circulate a petition and gather at least 10,000 names and present it to the commission in Port Townsend at their Dec. 5 and 6 meeting. At the time of presentation we will have 1000 boats on trailers in Port Townsend with TV and print coverage and then convoy to Fort Warden, where the commission meeting is being held.
The final draft of the petition is complete and we will begin collecting names on Wednesday. Time is of the essences and we must start now.
If every chapter filled just 30 pages of this petition we would have 10,000 names. These names need only be people who are eligible to have a catch record card.
This seems doable to me. It may be harder to get that many trailer boats in town on the 6th of Dec. but it is a worthy goal and would certainly be newsworthy.
If you can attend or send someone to represent your chapter please be here. If someone wants to come and needs a place to crash let me know.
There is a lot at stake here and we will need all the help we can muster to make this successful.
15.4% is not enough
Gary Hulsey
East Jefferson Chapter

I will keep everyone updated and hopefully we will be able to get an online version of a petition.

G

·
I've had the pleasure of enjoying the shellfishing up in Washington and this is an important issue so please don't ignore it.
Seems like we have to fight for everything we get these days :mad:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stew,

I sent you a copy of the petition that you can print out. Anyone else wanting to help collect signatures, send me a private message and I will send the file to you! Thanks in advance for your help. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Petitons can now be printed from this LINK

You don't have to crab in Puget Sound to have your voice heard. Many of you are WA license holders and have a right to protest this unfair allocation!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the address to mail signed petitions to:

East Jefferson Chapter
Puget Sound Anglers
PO Box 157
Port Townsend, WA. 98368

I hope to have an online version available by the end of the day for those who want to sign, but not collect signatures.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you don't want to collect signatures, how about signing the online petition? Your submission will go directly to the East Jefferson Chapter of Puget Sound Anglers. I have no access to anything submitted if that makes folks more comfortable.

Please help us save recreational crabbing in Puget Sound! :bowdown:

You can sign it HERE

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have never been crabbing or taken any shellfish before. But I would like to someday and I will try to get as many signatures as I can.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like some of you have taken the time to sign the electronic petition!

Many thanks! WDFW needs to understand we are organizing and we are strong!

(I can't wait till we have a boat/trailer parade in Port Townsend to get our point across. What a cool idea! Like going to the boat show but better!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts