IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used VMC treble hooks? I bought 4 paks. 2 of the size 8 and 2 of the size 4. I started using the #8 hooks. After my first hook up on a shad I didnt get another one on for 30 minutes. After looking at the hooks I noticed the hooks were bent almost straight. I thought that I must be using too small of a hook so I switched to the #4's. Again I caught one fish and the hooks bent striaght. Has anyone else had this problem?

After this experience I went to Joe's to pick up some Owner hooks and have not looked back.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Last year I was unemployed and poor so I bought cheap tackle VMC hooks+ berkley big game and Ande line.... Lost more steelhead to strait hooks and broken line... VMC= BAD

·
Registered
23,401 Posts
I don't like them, Never have, Never will. :hoboy: Loose tooooo many fish.

Owner or gamis for me.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Very weak hook's also I do belive that Brads wigglers, have vmc hooks. Change them to something else. My boy lost two nook's last year
before I was able to figure out what was going on.
Use anything but vmc.

·
Registered
16,608 Posts
I have always used VMC hooks for salmon/steelhead and have never lost a fish due to a straightened hook. The only other hook I use is Gammi for drift fishing for winter steelhead. VMC=Fine (good hook/good price)................

JK

[ 06-10-2003, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Artwo ]

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 6 hooks that my girlfriend and I used saturday that were all straightened when we caught our first Shad. We now use Owner hooks and thats it. I am in the process of contacting the VMC quality department and do plan to send them these 6 hooks to show them what my complaint is.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
All hooks were/are designed to be used with a certain # test rating in mind via the Manuf. I don't know how small those hooks are and what line you used but The stock hooks on kwickys are VMC if I remember. they flex some on a good sized nooker but retain enough shape to bring them in. just rebend'em and put back out.

but what do I know I had to go on other folks boats to catch them this year...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All 6 hooks bent out flat. Were using 8lb line for the shad. First fish on bent each hook. It was easier and quicker to just change out the hooks and get back to fishing. Once the Owner hooks were on there we didnt loose another fish. I even caught a nice 20+ lb salmon that day. Just too bad the river was not open to keep him. It was a nice fish.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I have used VMC hooks for almost everything at one time or another. The only ones I have ever been happy with are the tiny #16 trebbles for trout, and #2 trebble hooks I use on my home made spinners I use for fall Chinook in tidewater. I have never had one of them bend out on a fish and have landed mutiple fish on the same hook. When they get hung up I can usually put enough steady pressure on them to get the hook to bend out and pop free.

I will no longer use their octopus hooks though. I have had way too many of them bend out causing alot of lost fish. I now use Gamakatsu and some owner. I am now trying the Mustad Ultra point hooks also <Thanx Jennie> and am happy with them so far using them side by side with Gammies.

Just my .02

Jon :smile: :grin: :smile:

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
I love the straight point singles in 4/0 and 5/0 for my mooching rigs. I've never used the little size hooks and prefer Owner trebles. Maybe it's a size issue?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I used to use VMC all the time. The fact you are bending them probably has more to do with the gauge of hook you bought. 1X, 2X,3X, ETC. Most VMC are light wire, Owners are typically are very heavy gauge hook. If you are using light wire VMC'c they will bend. Go to a heavier wire if you want to use VMC, otherwise stay with the Owners.

[ 06-10-2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: firedog ]

·
Registered
607 Posts
firedog you should be out fishing not on the computer. haahahaa.. call me some tome to go fishing braden

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I landed a 18 lb Springer on a # 3 Vision hook the other day. I did not try to horse the fish in, my main line was 10lb and 8lb leader. By the way the leader was Big Game. I have not had a fish brake off when I am using Big Game main line or leader. I have been told that the Vison # 3 hook is made with lighter wire so they will drift better with small corkies. Not trying to advertise for Vision just telling my experience with small hooks.

Fishalot

fishalot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts