IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of research my wife and I have settled on getting a 21' Alexis Thunderjet with a soft top and raised back deck. :grin: :grin: I am thinking I would rather have carpet for the floor and deck, thinking it will be less slippery and quieter. My wife thinks vinyl would be better, and would be easier to keep clean. What are some of you Ifishers experience and thoughts? :cheers:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I vote with your spousal unit! Vinyl!! Take a hose to it, and clean up is done. If quiet is a concern, try some rubber mats. And good luck with the new boat! Congrats! :smile:

Just my 2 cents worth... :grin:

·
Registered
480 Posts
If the boat is purely for fishing go with the vinyl. If you plan on cruising in the summer, swimmin from it, the missus tanning in the sun the carpet is the only way to go. Vinyl gets WAY TO HOT to stand on in the summer. To clean the carpet: while at home sprinkle some laundry detergent on the floor, take the hose and soak the carpet. Then drive to the nearest car wash and use the pressure washer to clean everything out.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
7 years ago I bought a Duckworth with carpet for guiding. I have literally had the floor soaked with Halibut blood and slime and it still is looking good. Get home from fishing, tip it up, hose it down and let it dry overnite. Use Lemon Joy occasionally to keep it smelling sweet. Hope to get 3 or 4 more years out of it. Had vinyl in a sled and hated it. Slippery and gets holes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The vinal in my boat gets so hot in the summer that I have to wet it down to stand on it with bare feet.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a 21 Northriver and I had the same problem vinyl or carpet. I had Bentleys make a removable carpet kit that snaps in. Great for in the Summer and when it is raining in the fall and spring I don't carry around a water soaked floor/floorboards....

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
The Pilar would never ever consider carpet. Halibut slime and tuna blood would leave a stench that would never be removed. :shocked: Diamond-plate vinyl. Expensive, but that's the stuff! reduces the slip n' slide. I never fish barefoot, but Pilar doesn't complain about it getting hot.

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
River kid:
All of your e mail from ifish is getting put in your spam filter, and bouncing back to me.
Could you get your ISP to fix that, please?
Getting flooded! :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
558 Posts
River Kid. I have a 21' hardtop Alexis. I put carpet up front. The Vinyl starts from the bench seats to the rear of the boat. You can have the best of both worlds! the carpet is nice on the feet when running around in the summer. The vinyl in the rear is durable and easy to clean. The rear of the boat recieves most of the goo from fishing. I recomend putting in the live well on the transome. It makes a great fish box! the problem is when the dogs come waltzing in the bow and drag everything in onto the carpet. It is very easy to clean though!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Carpet would be a bear to keep clean. I'd go the other route.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yellow N.River has it right but just happened to buy the wrong brand. :wink: No I'm not really goin there. :grin: :grin: I had TJet make my carpet fully removeable. Snaps in and out, and actually stays put. I use the boat a lot in the summer for the kids to wakeboard, and the carpet is great then. In the fall and spring I have the carpet removed in the back where I dream of getting fish blood. E-mail me if you want to see how in looks and works. You ought to be thinkin again about that raised fishing platform though. What type of fishin do you do? Will you be trolling with a kicker? How do you plan to steer the kicker?

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
A friend of mine has a Duckworth with carpet, and IMHO, I hate it. Not only for the reasons above. It also snags hooks and fir needles like crazy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you're running a raised deck you want to make sure it's not slippery. I went with carpet for that very reason. Carpet is not all that bad as Capt Hook mentioned. It's all replaceable!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
We have carpet in our 19' Blue fin Sportsman and I hate it. Hard to keep clean and holds water too much. Water soaked carpet adds alot of weight you have to tow around. It also grabs hooks.

My .02 go with vinyl. Or like was said maybe a carpet kit that is removable.

Jon :smile: :grin: :smile:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have carpet in my boat and I would never do it again. I went with the carpet for the exact reasons you mentioned...more comfort and quiet. It does serve those purposes but it is a huge hassle if you fish a lot. You can keep it clean as Hook mentioned. He is right, blood does come out easily, so does coffee. What doesn't come out easily is bait butter, grease, various scents, gum from your 2 year old, hooks, etc., etc. I can get it looking new again but it takes several hours of scrubbing. All the while I'm thinking "Boy, I wish I could just hose this off when I was done fishing and be done with it".....just my .02
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
If your having the boat built. Pony up some extra boat bucks and do away with the wood floors.

My boat has full alluminum decking with rhino liner sprayed on. SWEEEET.

You can choose your color of liner so go with something light and it will stay cool.

As for quiet...my boat is the quietest I've ever been in.

Best of all; It will never need replacing!

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Fishplay, what a great idea. My new boat will indeed have that floor!

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Don't know what kind of carpet some of you are referring to. Marine carpet does not hold water and add weight. It drains fast and have never had a problem with snagged hooks or fir needles. (I parked this boat under spruce trees in AK for 4 years) They vacuum out just like any other dirt. The only fish smell I ever had was an undetected silver under the boards for 2 months. Once it was located, no more smell. Oils will stain carpet however. I still prefer it over vinyl or diamond plate. Rhino lining would be my other choice. Great idea!

[ 05-06-2003, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Capt. Hook ]

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I've got vinyl over an aluminum deck. AWESOME. My floor doesnt get any hoter than carpet from what I can tell. I've had both carpet and vinyl and the vinyl is 10 times easier to keep clean. I actually use my 2200 psi pressure washer on my vinyl floor several times a year and it looks great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts