IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I enjoy re-watching this; a lot of nostalgia for me. Humboldt is still a wonderful place to be. And Onokai is sooo ZEN!

BTW a little trivia....the footage of Ken Bates netting anchovies (in Humboldt Bay) for the commercial tuna guys...that's where the (tuna) bait boats from San Diego first stop to load up on bait, on their way up here.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Great watch. Thanks for posting. It seemed to hit just the right pace to present the industry and people well. It was nice for this "never com-fished" guy to get a brief window into something I'm always curious about.

· Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for posting. Enjoyed both the history the background. I’ve been making preparations to make my first Tuna run and the video help put some of the volumes of Ifish research I’ve read into perspective.

· Registered
1,717 Posts
You wanna watch someone get wired up..talk tuna with Mark..great fisherman and even better human..Part of my evolution as a tuna fisherman is directly due to mark..from nearly 30 years ago. By the way he is a great potter too..if you ever have a chance to chat with him you should..Mark thanks for that..

· Registered
23,942 Posts
You wanna watch someone get wired up..talk tuna with Mark..great fisherman and even better human..Part of my evolution as a tuna fisherman is directly due to mark..from nearly 30 years ago. By the way he is a great potter too..if you ever have a chance to chat with him you should..Mark thanks for that..
He does give a lot to this forum. I'd guess half of the folks on the halibut grounds are using one of his rig designs.

· Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
He does give a lot to this forum. I'd guess half of the folks on the halibut grounds are using one of his rig designs.
Cliff is referring to Mark Cortright, in the video. Not me. Mark C. goes by 'Onokai'. But I do appreciate the sentiment :)

Cliff, you said it....he's a great human. Anyone would be lucky to have him as a friend.

Here's Mark C., and some of his mugs; including the tuna mug....my favorite!

Hand Plant Jaw Beard Gesture

Tableware Drinkware Dishware Shelf Serveware

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Sorry I should have been more specific...however the true is same for both marks actually...So I guess it's the Mark twice...or something...its important to learn from generations in front of us..This stuff needs to be passed on..The history and evolution of our sport and the commercial side of things..Needs a voice and a story so bravo..

· Registered
23,942 Posts
Back to the video, it was nice to see something informative without touting an agenda or going soap opery. Hardy individuals and a lot tougher than me so hat's off to them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts