IFish Fishing Forum banner

VHF Radio, which one??

777 views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  fish_on 
#1 ·
Well, SLOWLY but surely, my new BoiceJet is getting closer to reality, the welding is underway. I've purchased just darn near everything over the last few months, except for a VHF and antenna. These are the models I'm looking at:

Uniden Oceanus
ICOM 402S or M-45
RayMarine 45 or 53
Standard Horizon Eclipse or Quest

Only real qualification I have is that it be completely waterproof with good warranty, and not a great big box taking up a lot of dash space. Not going to be taking TUNA! trips on the big blue, or anything like that. I want a black radio, and I'll be getting a black 8' fiberglass antenna as well.

Anyone have any of these radios? Input, good/bad/ugly is appreciated.
TR

[ 08-07-2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: TheRogue ]

#5 ·
Standard Horizon. I am not too sure of the model name. It should cost 225 at fishermans. Submersible? Yes.

Black? No. But they may come in black.

Have fun with the new ride.

Mark and the bankbound dog.

#6 ·
I spent some time at the radio counter at Fisherman's a few weeks back. One of the things that the gentlemen who was helping me mentioned was that next year, all radios will be equipped with a "distress" button. If I remember correctly, it basically hails any boat within a mile or so. It is designed to double up on hailing the coast guard. Only a few models have them this year. As I recall, Standard Horizon has this feature on this year's model.

#7 ·
I have the RayMarine predecessor, Raytheon 52. It's been flawless for 5 years. Waterproof is a nice feature! Also, don't skimp on an antenna ... a good one is worth the expense.

#10 ·
After some research and shopping around,I'm expecting to pick up the full package today at Rogers Marine Electronics: Uniden Oceanus, (I decided I didn't need the DCS or wireless mic feature of the Polaris; and needed the compact size of the Oceanus) better Shakespeare 8' antenna, 5" loudspeaker, fold-down antenna mount, thru-hull waterproof cable fittings.

Buying from Rogers, I'm hoping they'll doublecheck the antenna tuning for free or nominal charge.

#12 ·
Rogue-

I shopped as well, internet as well as locally. The best combo deal I found was the ICOM 402 w/Shakespere Centennial antenna @ Cabelas.
The Coast Guard in Portland picked me up from Columbia City on my radio check so I guess it works ok. :smile:

#15 ·
Fishermans marine has a new modl vhf that sells for $179. and change it has the auto distres feature on it but it needs a GPS hooked up to it to give the coasties your position when you push the panic button. Did not look at who it was made by.
DAB

#16 ·
When I purchased mine from Enguland Marine they had the Standard Horizon, Raymarine, and Icom. In the price range I was looking at,$140-160 all 3 had a good model. My concern was water resistance and the best heat sink. They said the Icom was the most water resistant; it could be completely submerged and had a bigger heat sink than the standard horizon. The price was the same the futures were comparable so I went with the Icom M45 and have not had any problem with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.