IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after my maiden ocean trip with a handheld I decided I wanted something with a little more power for transmitting and exchanged the handheld for a base unit at Englunds.

I installed the radio last night, but wanted to see if anyone has any advice on the antennae. I have a 19' Duckworth and plan to mount it next to he driver's side window. If I have to drill in front of the windshield to run the wire for the antennae how do I make it waterproof?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rip'N'Lips

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
On my NorthRiver, I mounted the antenna near the bow, and was able to run the wire from the recessed bow to the dash using a cutout between the bow and the dash. No holes to drill....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I installed one on my Harbercraft.

Buy a rubber gromet that fits snug on the cable.

Drill a pilot hole where you want the cable to pass thru, pick a drill size to fit the gromet groove. Finish the hole to size and deburr.
Install the gromet in the hole.

Before attaching the cable connector, push and pull the cable thru the gromet (maybe use a spray-on wax). Cut the cable to the needed length plus a little. Install cable connector using solder for the center conductor.

Hope that helps. :smile:

Cheerio'
Skipper

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Number one - don't do what my friend did - he drilled the hole big enough for the entire connector to pass through! If it came with the connector attached (unlikely) cut it off and drill a small hole, using the rubber grommet that skipper talked about. Re-connect the connector using solder. Once I had mine all rigged, I took it to Rodgers Marine near 33rd and Marine Drive and had them solder the connector on good. I think they charged me $5, but it was cheaper than buying a soldering iron and trying to do something I didn't know how to do.

They have the rubber grommets in the trays above the screws, nuts and bolts at Fishermans or West Marine. You can use silicone, but the grommet is better - that aluminum can cut into the outside of the cable over time so I recommend the grommet. I installed an 8' antennae on the passenger side of my North River with a fold up/down mount and then I put a small clip back by my rearmost side window (I've got a hard-top with hard-sides) to clip the top of the mast into when it's in the folded down position.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Make sure to tin and solder the braid also, and don't go cheap on the PL259 connector. If its not done right (personal experiance) it wont work worth a darn

·
Registered
382 Posts
Basinhntr, It's all Shakespeare brand or at least the antenna and the mount is, Im not sure about the brand on the water tight coax fitting (I think it might be SeaDog)I got the coax fitting at west marine or Kelso marine, I don't remember? Both carry it.

My antenna is Shakespeare model - Galaxy 5225-XT, I believe it is there best 6-db gain 8' antenna. Don't skimp on your antenna....

If you notice in the photos my antenna is right in the middle of my window, well this was not my first choice for location but in order for the base to fit and the antenna to be able to lay down through it's full range of motion parallel to the side of the boat that is where it had to go...make sure you check that (how it lays down) before you start drilling holes...WA

[ 07-17-2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Wright Angle ]

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here is a very good link that everybody should look at about VHF antennas, range, installing do's and don't. It's just a good link....Good reading... Fax about VHF

[ 07-17-2003, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Wright Angle ]

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I finished the installation tonight with a little help from the posts here on ifish... so here is my next question, how do I know if it is working right?

I live off 185th and Sunset, and the only thing I can pick up is a little bit of the weather on channel 1 wx. Is this normal, or should I be able to get other traffic from here?

Thanks,

Rip'N'Lips

·
Registered
382 Posts
I live 2.66 miles from the Columbia River (as the crow flies, line of site) and I never hear any radio traffic when I'm sitting in the boat working on it with the radio on, I even live on a hill. To many trees I guess. I can hear the weather on Ch 1 wx but its not very clear.

When I'm on the river my radio works great, I hear lots of tug and barge traffic, ships, other fishing boats, harbor masters from Cathlamet the Coast guard from both Portland and Astoria...So I'm thinking your radio is working fine...be sure and check it on the river before you depend on it.

So was you able to find the coax fitting that you needed? WA

·
Registered
382 Posts
If I remember right when I installed my radio the instructions said that no matter how long I left the antenna wire the antenna needed to be at least three feet from the radio, no closer. So I had to mount my antenna on the passenger side of the boat to meet this requirement.

Also I went to west marine and bought a water tight hull fitting for the antenna wire. I did not want to drill more holes in my boat that were not under the foot print of the antenna base so I mounted it on the base (see pic)

[ 07-17-2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Wright Angle ]

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Thanks for the pics, Wright Angle - I was trying to remember earlier why I put mine on the passenger side and now I know. I did the same thing you did with the antennae mount - just ran it through the bottom so there are no holes outside of the footprint.

·
Registered
382 Posts
No problem on the pictures. :smile:

Yes I hate drilling holes in my boat, but it is getting easier And that bothers me some. LOL :tongue:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wright Angle-

Thanks for the awesome pictures!!! I will go the same route.

I am glad I asked!!!

Rip'N'Lips

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
Remember, VHF is line-of-sight!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts