IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and couldn’t find a common thread showing all relevant Veteran’s discounts. Nice to take advantage where possible. Feel free to add to the list:

Fisherman’s Marine 10% on all non-sale items
Cabela’s 5% ( come on, step up your game to 10%!)
Sportsman’s Warehouse- I think 10%, don’t shop there much
Home Depot and Lowe’s 10% on all
Angler West Store in Woodland- Justin just confirmed he does 10%
Bob’s - not sure, but I think 10%
Parkrose Hardware 10% non sale items

When in doubt, ask. You deserve it it for your service to our country.

• Love
Reactions: JohnnyMac

·
Registered
9,230 Posts
Happy that those of you who completed your service get a discount.

Many of us have no issues with paying for your discount.

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
2,152 Posts
Sportsman’s is 5% on non-sale items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JohnnyMac

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
2,152 Posts
Amazon offers a Veteran discount on Prime membership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Coastal Farm and Ranch 10%. Includes propane!

Home Depot is hit or miss. "Veteran" on your driver's license is not good enough for them.

I always thank the store in return.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,283 Posts

Home Depot is hit or miss. "Veteran" on your driver's license is not good enough for them.

I knew a guy that was not a veteran but would claim he was and got the vets discount. at Home Depot
Thinking it was people like that who may have spoiled it for those really deserving.

·
Registered
68 Posts
First of all THANK YOU for all veterans who have served our country. We will always be grateful of what you have done.
I work at a "big box" hardware / home improvement center selling appliances.
. We offer veterans' discounts for items that are:
1. Not on sale - must be at regular shelf price
2. On the store shelves that a customer can carry out. Appliances are special order and not eligible for a discount.
I've compared our policy to other big box hardware stores and they all seem to be basically the same.
I will write up a second order on install kits and other parts - separate from the appliance - so the veteran gets a discount on eligible items.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I knew a guy that was not a veteran but would claim he was and got the vets discount. at Home Depot
Thinking it was people like that who may have spoiled it for those really deserving.
It's exactly why some stores don't do it anymore. Squeedunks who thought they deserved a discount without showing any proof of ID, and store employees taking their word for it. Eventually as a owner paying attention to bottom line, you'll see the difference.

·
Premium Member
18,955 Posts
Different stores have different ideas on what a 'veteran' is. At Lowes, take in your DD214 if you are not active, reserve, retired or medical military. HD doesn't accept vets without a DOD issued card. But I've found if you ask, the cashiers will generally give you the vets discount. Yes, I am an Army vet with 3 years active duty. I do carry an ID card issued by the Veterans Admin as proof of service but have been told by HD they don't accept it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

"Veteran" on Oregon Drivers License has been good for us at Home Depot in Tigard and Sherwood.

Wilco's also give a 10% discount

·
Registered
386 Posts
Different stores have different ideas on what a 'veteran' is. At Lowes, take in your DD214 if you are not active, reserve, retired or medical military. HD doesn't accept vets without a DOD issued card. But I've found if you ask, the cashiers will generally give you the vets discount. Yes, I am an Army vet with 3 years active duty. I do carry an ID card issued by the Veterans Admin as proof of service but have been told by HD they don't accept it.
I thought Lowes was pretty Vet friendly? I know they hire quite a few Vets, but didn't know they required proof like that? Im not a Vet, so I don't know, but thats what I always thought.

·
Premium Member
18,955 Posts
I thought Lowes was pretty Vet friendly? I know they hire quite a few Vets, but didn't know they required proof like that? Im not a Vet, so I don't know, but thats what I always thought.
I went though it a couple years ago. Opened an account - required - and had to take in a copy of my DD214 for them to confirm. Once done, it's connected to my account and when I flash the keychain plastic thing the vet;s discount automatically gets applied. But, f you have a DD issued ID card, that's all that's needed. HD is more generous with their Vet;s parking spots. Lowes is catching up on that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
In my neck of the woods, HD wants you to sign up online and link your veteran status to your phone number. When I ask for the discount, they ask for my phone number. Works ok for me, but HD also has a pretty big list of stuff they won't apply the discount to. With Lowes, all I have to do is flash my retiree ID card and I'm good to go. They also discount most everything in the store. I shop Lowes first and hit HD when Lowes doesn't have what I'm looking for. Sportsman's has 5% that can be applied with a flash of the ID. I have purchased a couple firearms online and when I get into the store to pick it up, they've kicked me back a refund (which usually pays for a little ammo).

Thank You for everyone's service. For me it was 20 years that consisted both the best and worst days of my life. I wouldn't trade it.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I also have a VA photo ID card, which includes a symbol for my branch of service. What better proof could you get? I show it every time I go to Home Depot and they always accept it. I suggest you ask to speak with the manager of the Home Depot that is not accepting your VA card.

·
Premium Member
18,955 Posts
I also have a VA photo ID card, which includes a symbol for my branch of service. What better proof could you get? I show it every time I go to Home Depot and they always accept it. I suggest you ask to speak with the manager of the Home Depot that is not accepting your VA card.
I have had cashiers at HD tell me they don't accept it. That was quite a while back and haven't had them question the VA card since then. But it has happened.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have had cashiers at HD tell me they don't accept it. That was quite a while back and haven't had them question the VA card since then. But it has happened.
Get at VA ID card. Super easy if you are truly a veteran honorably or general discharge. Go to VA.gov. Home Depot and everyone accepts it.

Reactions: PDXmGunner

·
Registered
603 Posts
Get at VA ID card. Super easy if you are truly a veteran honorably or general discharge. Go to VA.gov. Home Depot and everyone accepts it.
I learned after getting mine renewed they can put the emblem of your branch on the card too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts