IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Food Saver Proffesional II. It is about 4 years old and quite frankly does not work like it once did. I now have to manually operate it and it just does not suck out the air as good as it used to. Does anyone have commercial sealer that is advertised in Cabela's? It is a stainless version and cost about $150 more then the foodsavers. Looking for any feedback on this unit good bad or otherwise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you contact the MFR directly, they will fix it good as new for about $50.00. Here's a link to their home page.http://www.tilia.com/
I know of a couple of people that have done this and were satisfied with the results.

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Denali,I have had the same thing happen. Just doesn't quite suck hard enough to get a good seal. Mine's from Costco,and was $160, but the one I see in Cabela's is $399.99. At that price my rec. fund would take to big a hit. To bad there ian't a way to replace the pump in the FoodSaver,you know,super charge it.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
It is most likely the seals that are worn. Call Tilia, or email them, and free of charge they will send replacement seals. I had the exact same problem and the new seals fixed the situation.

[ 09-12-2003, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: FallRiverGuy ]

·
Registered
241 Posts
Denali,

I bought the Cabelas one you are referring to. I never could get it to work right after many attempts and lots of tinkering. I also noticed when I unpacked it that the screws that hold it together were not fully seated, some I could easily unscrew with my fingers. This told me there was probably a QC issue with their manufacturer. Ultimately, I sent it back for a credit. Now I am in the same book looking for a good one that sucks :grin: .

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Forgot to add that if I was to get another vacuum sealer the ones I saw at the fair this year looked better built than the Tilia. The salesman claimed that their units pulled twice the vacuum that the Tilia's acheived. I can't remember the brand, but I bet you could find one at the sportsman show.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I e-mailed the MFG so I'll see if I can get the beast back up to snuff. Sorry to hear about the Cabela's model. I'd be willing to pay a little more for a high quality unit.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I've seen the various vacuum sealers advertised, but never used one. Is there really a significant difference in the quality of the food from vacuum-packed and frozen vs. just frozen?

[ 09-12-2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Old Coot ]

·
Registered
165 Posts
darn.. my tilia gave out for its last time last night.. I got half my salmon freezer bagged.. so into the dumpster it went.. $160 down the big metal basket.. so I was looking serious at the Cabela stainless model, now with that bad news above?.. hope someone comes up with something good...

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
All I have to say is I have one of the first tilla vac packs that were made and it still works great. I have used the newer/autopmatic models but like my old clunker just fine. Have you checked E-bay?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Coot, there is a significant difference after about the first month. If you like to store food for longer durations, it definitely will help maintain the freshness/quality. Right now I wrap with cling wrap and then put in a ziplock with all of the air sucked out. That works fairly well but not as good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Over the years, I did the food saver shuffle and always ended up
wasting bags that would not seal or other problems. Did the math
and sprang for the smallest commercial camber model that I could
get. The difference in the price of the bags at 28 cents verses 06
cents go a long way to paying for the bigger model in the long
term. No more hassles with liquids, you can seal a bag of water if
you want to. We even seal hot foods at times.
Some thing to think about and plan for down the road.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I got a chuckle out of this thread. How often do you say things like "I want the one that sucks the most!"

·
Registered
58 Posts
Predator Daug,
Vac Master was the name of the machine and they were at the sportsman show. Seattle based co. They are still avalable.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
We have used the VacMaster for several year and find it to be a quality machine.

·
Premium Member
22,255 Posts
billfish,
I'm curious...you said the bags cost a lot less? Still have to use their kind of special bags, though? and they'll do water?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts