IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here successfully vacum packed eggs? I was thinking of trying it but was wondering how well it would work?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have done it before and it seams to work good. I'm sure your going to cure them first. After that, lay them out on a piece of wax paper and freeze them hard. Take them out, vacum pack them, then put them back in the freezer. I like to do it that way because depending on how good your packer is it can pop some of your eggs.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
It works fine. Just get the timing down to seal just before any breakage occurs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Get a jar sealer adapter for your machine and seal the eggs in the jar. I seal mine in different size jars depending on demand at the time.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I like the jars too. But for bank trips i like vac seal bags too. I usually put the cured eggs in the vac bag and push to the bottom of the bag and try and eliminate air pockets. Then freeze hard and then vac seal.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I vacuum seal all my eggs until I am ready to use them. The foodsaver w/jar sealer is great for everything and should be a must have appliance.
If you freeze eggs frozen first make sure you have egg juice to pour over them before sealing. They can still be freezer burned if dried and then put in the jar and then sealed/frozen. Sometimes I will just seal and freeze. If some eggs pop well then there is that more juice that hits the water.
Amerman's tips

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
We have a commercial packer and it works just as well. Just make sure you watch how much vacuum is pulled as to not pop the whole batch!! :grin:

·
Registered
676 Posts
i do it all the time but with a little twist,,,,,,i use the styrofoam tray the hamburger has under it when bought,then clean it really well on wala no breakage :dance:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I seal mine in jars too. I'm using the last of "97" up and will start on "98". They are just as good as the day I put them in the jars :grin:

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I just use the 'ol borax and sugar for my eggs. Once cured, I just place them in the foodsaver bags, add a handfull of borax and "suck 'em"! They work great.

BTW, my cousin got a 60+ pound King yesterday out in the salt off of Deep Creek while soaking herring for 'butts. They had a great day, and the big king got him a nice tip from the "dudes".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts