IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone! does any one use a UV flash light on UV lures before sending them down?

i have a brads mini cut plug and after sitting out in the sun took it in to a dark place and the thing was glowing brilliantly. wondering about the effectiveness of hitting lures with a UV light before fishing it. is it worth getting one?

Thanks all

·
Registered
926 Posts
It would be something you could play with in low light conditions…. I used to see guys use the old flash cube cameras to illuminate their lures right at dawn. Problem was…. They were fishing way too early. It’s typically 30 minutes before dawn before you can legally fish. I watched some guys on the Clackamas get ticketed for it…. It was pretty darn hard to miss with all the flashes going off. Talk about calling in the game warden…. Lol

·
Registered
39,369 Posts
Typical flashlights don't produce UV. Need an electric arc to produce UV. The glow doesn't come from exclusively from UV, any white light should work. Lots of guys use photographic strobes to charger lures.

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
2,152 Posts
I use one from time to time. I like to run glo SNGs for Kokanee and it seems to charge them better than a normal flashlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Yes there are UV flashlights. Do a search and you can find them cheap on amazon.
We use them in Mexico because Scorpions glow bright white under a UV light even from a long distance. Eliminated the need for us to worry about about walking around bare foot in the dark.
One of my secret weapons was to charge up glow in the dark, pale peach corkies to use at first light back in the early 80's.
It worked many times for me to get the first hookup around a bunch of fisherman

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
2,152 Posts
Hey Everyone! does any one use a UV flash light on UV lures before sending them down?

i have a brads mini cut plug and after sitting out in the sun took it in to a dark place and the thing was glowing brilliantly. wondering about the effectiveness of hitting lures with a UV light before fishing it. is it worth getting one?

Thanks all
As far as if they are worth it, I would wager you have bought more expensive gear, considering how much you can pick one up for online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cohoguy

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I used to worry about charging those glow in the dark paints. I honestly never noticed a difference even when fishing salmon at 2am*.
Now I will say those blinking lights on the protrolls are money in those early morning hours. They're also easily retrofited to shortbus too.
*I have tried trolling flasher/superbait/spinner combos from midnight to first light. Never hooked anything during that time period except during the first gray of dawn.
Same for evening fishing. Done really well at last light but once that thin band is gone the bite is dead. Tried for an hour or two after dark quite a few times. Anymore I don't even try.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
When we have played glow disc or ball golf at night, the UV flashlights charge them quickly without hindering your night vision too badly. If you use glow rigs, I would recommend one for sure.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I use a small inexpensive UV flash light I bought at Harbor Freight. It seems to charge up the fluorescent lures faster and better than a very bright LED flash light or a camera flash I have also used and it doesn't destroy my night vision. Does it help catch more fish...????
Works great for finding dog pee spots on the carpet too. LOL

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Yes there are UV flashlights. Do a search and you can find them cheap on amazon.
We use them in Mexico because Scorpions glow bright white under a UV light even from a long distance. Eliminated the need for us to worry about about walking around bare foot in the dark.
One of my secret weapons was to charge up glow in the dark, pale peach corkies to use at first light back in the early 80's.
It worked many times for me to get the first hookup around a bunch of fisherman
Supposedly UV flashlights will illuminate tomato hornworms. So far I haven't found any using the light......might be a good sign.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
For an enlightening experience bring your UV flashlight along next time you stay in a hotel.

UV flashlights are cheap ($13 on Amazon). If you use them to "charge" anything glo in the dark, the initial glow will be brighter and last longer than using a normal flashlight or camera flash.

As a bonus they work awesome for curing UV activated resins. Great stuff for jig/fly tying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts